Premed 101 Forums

help please

Guest eastpak

Guest eastpak

would a overall gpa of 3.65.. with the last two years being around an average of 3.95 give me a good chance of getting into med school??

Guest kaymcee

Short answer: yes. Your GPA, especially your recent performance, makes you competitive in several schools.

Long answer:

Your competitiveness depends on where you apply. There are some schools (UBC comes to mind) that have a set of pre-requisites like fisrt year biology, chemistry, etc. I'm not sure when you took these courses, if you've taken them at all, but if they are in the less-than-stellar first and/or second years you describe, they could jeopardize your application there.

If your final two years are a full course load (ten half-courses over the course of eight months, September to April) then, based on your grades alone, you will be competitive at Western, Queens, Alberta, and Calgary, in particular, as they place a larger emphasis on your recent performance. If you've maintained a full course load throughout, Ottawa and Toronto's weighting schemes may benefit you.

The best thing to do is check out the websites for all the medical schools across Canada to determine if your grades are competitive. Take into consideration that you have a better chance of getting into medical schools in the province which you reside, except Ontario.

All this being said, however, the quality of your application is judged on much more than your GPA. I'm hoping to get into medical school with a GPA similar to that, so for both our sakes, I hope it's enough to get in. Sorry about the long-winded answer.

Guest eastpak

thanks for the reply.. im from nova scotia but im a french acadian and i am looking to get into med school in quebec.. ive done plenty of EC activites and intend on doing some more during the year.. i just hope my first year marks weren`t too low to jeopardize my future plans. there`s just one course that was really low.. other than that it was all B`s and i intend on taking that course again this year so i should be able to ace it this time around..

Guest kaymcee

Re-taking a course to get a better grade is a waste of money, unless you feel you could gain something from it to help you in future courses. Most, if not all, medical schools will consider only your first successful attempt at a course. If you pass a course, you're stuck with that grade. If you fail a course and successfully repeat it, they take the average of the fail and the pass.

I'm not familiar with Québec school admissions policies aside from those of McGill, but I believe they are the most exclusive when it comes to out-of-province applicants. I'm not sure how it works if you want to learn medicine in a francophone school in Québec, but I'm sure there are people here who do.

Guest eastpak

So you don`t think re-taking that course would be of any benefit for me? it would in no way come into their minds when they look over my marks?? on the other hand, french students in nova scotia have some "spots" in some universities in quebec to give the opportunity to follow our studies in french

Guest kaymcee

No, I don't think repeating the course would have any effect on your GPA.

It sounnds like you've got another year left. If you can keep up your existing academic performance, possibly pushing your GPA north of 3.7, you will be golden and, for all intents and purposes, your first year will effectively disappear with your really high grades.

Have all your years been full time as I described (10 half-courses per year)?

Guest eastpak

They have all been full years, except my first year when i could only take four courses during the first semester.. other than that, i have been taking 5 courses per semester

Archived