Premed 101 Forums

Withdrawn courses

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

In second year, I dropped out of a really obscure full-year class that I hated. Unfortunately, I had just missed the deadline for dropping out of courses without penalty and this left me with a big fat "W" on my transcript which at my university stands for "withdrawn". I don't know how to enter this on my OMSAS application, cause when I enter this course and put in "incomplete", my GPA for second year drops from 3.5 to 2.8!!! Surely this can't be right!! If that is the case, then I may have to reconsider applying to med school at all!! What would happen if I just didn't enter the course? Surely they would pick up on that and just add it in themselves, no? Any help??!!

Guest kaymcee

So you dropped the course after the final deadline, thus receiving an incomplete (failing) grade for it? You should definitely include the course in your reporting of your transcript, as providing a false transcript is definitely a no-no. I know some medical school applications include a section with a heading "Is there some reason that your transcript does not accurately reflect your ability?" or something of the sort. Perhaps you could mention the circumstances surrounding your poor second year GPA in that section.

My advice, though, is to contact the admissions committee(s) school(s) you're interested in and explain your situation. Best of luck! (And report back, please, because this could be very useful information.)

Guest Elaine I

If you withdrew from the course after the date when it would be removed from your record, but before the last date to drop courses, you often get a W on your transcript. That is NOT the same as an INC, which is equivalent to an F. Last year, I did not enter W courses into the OMSAS system (because they would have been recorded as 0.0 GPA), and was told that was correct by the folks in Guelph.

Elaine

Guest kaymcee

Oh, yeah, if you've withdrawn without penalty then don't include them. I'm pretty sure they won't appear on your official transcript (my withdrawn courses, of which there are two too many, appear on my unofficial transcript but not my official one).

Unless you have an INC/N/F in a course, don't include it.

Archived