Premed 101 Forums

Are Laptops helpful?

Guest Avi44

Guest Avi44

For those of you who have passed through undergrad, do you feel that laptops are useful for your study. Did you actually take your laptop to lectures and use them constructively during the time? I was considering getting a laptop, but I'm having second thoughts because I can get a much more powerful desktop for a fraction of the price. What do you think?

Guest kaymcee

I only recently purchased a laptop because of its portability for travelling to my co-op work terms. Personally, I have to focus a great deal more when I'm writing something as opposed to typing it, helping me to retain the lectures better. Throughout my undergrad, I can only think of a few times where a laptop would have been helpful.

Guest blinknoodle

I bought a desktop when I went to university. It is still working nicely. If I wanted to use a computer at school, there were a multitude of computer labs that I could use (I was at McMaster). I never wanted a laptop (security concerns) nor really needed one. In fact, for my classes very few people bring them to class.. the only time I have found a laptop somewhat useful is for small group sessions if working on a group project/presentation (although computer labs can work ok too).

Guest Avi44

Thanks a lot. It seems that most science students dont necessarily require the laptops for undergrad classes. Most engineering students say the opposite.

ever since my top-of-the-line 386 33Mhz at Turbo speed with 4 megs of ram and a 80 MB hard drive, I've had a laptop since. In the first few years of undergrad, ive had little reason to port it around. however, the few times that i've done it, group studying/projects, it's been extremely useful and convenient.

when Co-op happened and 3rd adn 4th year projects started, i used my laptop everywhere. this is when i found having a laptop most useful. it's nice and convenient to hook up to wireless internet and work with the programs that you know you have on your computer. it's nice to find a huge table, spread out all your stuff, and do your work with friends that also have laptops (i can't tell you how many times we've swapped information, files, music (and movies) at a moments notice). i've also done lab research at school and have used my laptop on my bench as an immediate source of info.

but, in the end, its up to you. you can certainly live without a laptop. for me, i found its usefulness at key times during my undergrad.

Guest little endian

I did my undergrad in engineering and never wished I had a laptop. Spent a lot of time in the university computer lab, but that was better because everyone else was there too. I had a desktop at home but spent more time in the university with my classmates.

Guest Elaine I

I did my undergrad in health admin, and was very glad to have a laptop. I type a lot faster than I write, so I found that my notes were far superior when I took my laptop to class.

While I love my laptop, it is quite heavy (Toshiba Satellite Pro). At times, I chose not to lug it on the subway, so instead I would use my Palm and an external keyboard. For a fraction of the price (and weight), I was able to do most things that my computer would do (including wireless internet).

Elaine

Guest papink

I think this topic has come up a few times - however I'll throw in my two cents as well.

I find them to be very useful! I did my first undergrad without one - and have since been in and out of school on a part time or full time basis with a laptop - and it's made a huge amount of difference.

Most recently I've been using a tablet PC - which has really helped me improve my study and organizational habits.

Check out this discussion thread on Students and Tablet PC's if you are curious.

tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...C_ID=18654

Guest Elliott

I am currently completing my Bsc in Human Kinetics... I have found my lap top to be very useful. For the most part, it is useful in the way of group presentations. When we meet up, I can bring the lap top and we can all work in the presentation together - which really helps avoid me doing the whole thing alone...

Other than that, I do use the school comp labs a lot. They are much easier than lugging around my lap top - especially when I take the bus!

If you can't afford it now, the stretch probably isn't worth it in my opinion. It isn't a problem obtaining access to on campus PCs these days...

Hope this helps...

Elliott

Archived