Premed 101 Forums

bird courses?

Guest drEvil

Guest drEvil

Hey,

Are there any bird courses in Carleton? If you know of any, please let me know. Also, do you know of any distance learning online courses that are creditable and "bird".

Guest AH800

See the thread about differences in university undergrad degree difficulties. According to the posters on there, every course at Carleton is a bird course. You should have no problem getting a 4.0 gpa, but make sure not to take any course at UO or you may flunk out first year.

Best of luck with your decision.

Guest WoollySheep

Come now, this could easily turn into a Carleton bashing session. For your information, it is practically impossible to get a 4.0 at Carleton. Not a single student managed to pull that one off in this year's graduating class. Last year there was one (maybe 2?) with a 4.0 and Carleton made such a huge fuss over it.

drEvil, are you already a Carleton student or just starting? (Just wondering if I know you...). As for your question, everyone knows that 3rd year Ornithology is a bird course :lol

What kinds of courses are you looking for (ie what year, what subject)?

Guest drEvil

Hey WoollySheep,

I am a UofO student in biopharm. I am entering 3rd yr and I am looking for bird courses at any level. It's been difficult finding "bird" courses at UofO, so I'm looking into option at nearby Carleton or online distance options. What makes this 3rd year Ornithology so easy?

Guest Icarus

drEvil,

i suggest looking up the definition of ornithology. you'll see why it would fit the definition of a "bird" course better than any other course that you could find.

Guest squeegy80
It's been difficult finding "bird" courses at UofO

Try both of the first-year psych courses, as well as Witchcraft (SRS1110 I think) which is both easy and interesting. And if you need an English course, the Technical Report Writing class is a breeze.

A very interesting yet surprisingly easy upper-level course is Vertebrate Zoology, since there was a new prof this year who made it quite easy. You might not have the pre-reqs for this though...

It all depends on the prof, so let me know if any of these strike your fancy and I'll tell you who to look out for.

Guest WoollySheep

In all honesty, my friends tell me that ornithology and ornithology lab were really interesting, easy and fun. They went bird-watching and watched a lot of nature movies.

If you're looking for correspondance courses, check out Carleton's version, CUTV (http://www.carleton.ca/cutv). The most popular (ie easiest) courses are broadcast on CUTV, Carleton's digital cable channel (240 I think). We have camera crews in the lectures and then they broadcast the lectures later in the week. Courses offered on CUTV will have "T" or "V" beside it in the class schedule, as well as what time each lecture is broadcast. There is likely a full list on the CUTV website too. Probably every Carleton student has taken at least one CUTV course in their time here. It doesn't show up on your transcript any differently because you have the option to attend the actual lecture, to watch it on TV, or to rent the tapes later. If you decide not to go to lectures, you only have to show up for the midterm and the exam.

As I mentioned earlier, many of the popular/easy courses are on CUTV. These include: intro to astronomy, natural history of Ontario, death and the afterlife, intro to psych, etc. Most of these are 1st year courses though.

Take a look at the Carleton undergraduate calendar (http://www.carleton.ca/cuuc). There are some crazy courses (eg History of Food) which look interesting, but I don't know anyone who's taken them, so I can't say if they're easy or not. Email the prof teaching the course and ask them to send you a course outline (get an idea how many essays, assignments there are).

I really haven't taken too many courses outside my required ones (we're only given something like 5 electives over 4 years). Any other Carleton students out there have some suggestions???

Guest QuestionMan23213

EASY courses at carleton:

Natural History (biology)

intro psych

chem of food health drugs

microbiology 2nd year

enviro chem 3rd year

and STAY away from all geology courses, they're brutal.

Guest Steve U of T
and STAY away from all geology courses, they're brutal
Carleton doesn't have a 'Rocks for Jocks' course? U of T supposedly has 1 or 2 of those.

Guest drEvil

Squeegy80,

Vertebrate bio was easy? I took Animal Form and Function (bio2125) and it was crazy. Is Vertebrate as hard?

For all the Carletoners, I've heard of some McIntyre dude that teaches psyche. Is he still around? Everyone tells me to take psyche with that guy.

Guest QuestionMan23213

ya the mcintyre guy is still around. everybody takes psych with him because he in particular, never changes his exams so the course requires like no work whatsoever.

Guest HenryTheBig

So if macintyre never changes his exams, wouldn't the average in the class be really high like 85%. Then the faculty would take notice and consider changing him??

Henner

Guest squeegy80
Vertebrate bio was easy? I took Animal Form and Function (bio2125) and it was crazy. Is Vertebrate as hard?

Yeah animal form was very heavy on the workload. Vertebrate was much much easier, only because of the prof. I'll private message you the prof's name that that taught Vertebrate this year.

I had the same prof for Invertebrate as for Animal Form and it was just as brutal.

Good luck!

Archived