Premed 101 Forums

May I pick your brain? Opinions appreciated

Guest Elliott

Guest Elliott

I am about to bare my soul to the board in hopes of obtaining some much needed advice.

Here is my story:

I graduated from highschool in BC in 1999 with average grades. Think C+/B average. I was very involved in student activities as an excutive member of my student body. I volunteered within my community and had a good after school job.

I went to University (UNBC) my first year after graduating and studied English and Geography - again receiving average grades. My second year, I attended college in Vancouver and things went terribly wrong. Upsetting circumstances within my family forced me to have to spend time travelling home (my parents live outside Vancouver) and I ended up not completing the semester. I was so preoccupied, I didn't even withdraw. I received five F's that year and two C-'s (over two semesters). Needless to say, I was on AP.

After two years in a stable job in a good company, volunteering and some deep, deep thoughts, I returned to school. I am now in my third year (newly admitted to UBC) with an ok GPA (3.5 - 3.6). Of course this is not my CGPA.

I have a somewhat impressive list of activities and experiences, as well as paid and volunteer work experience.

I am excited about this prospects of my future and completing my degree. I wish strongly to apply to medschool. I have partially completed my med-school pre-reqs and my grades in these courses are good.

My questions are:

1. Do I even stand a chance?

2. I know I can apply to have the bad grades removed - is it worth a try? Do they still look at these grades - even if they are removed?

3. What avenues should I employ to further demonstrate my dedication to my studies, the prospect of being a medical professional and my ability to perform academically?

I have looked through old posts and FAQs, but was hoping to get some opinions on my situation. Responses and information are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Elliott

Guest Elaine I

Hi Elliott,

Yes, there is still hope for you! Your previous university work may prevent you from applying to some med schools; however, you are still eligible for those that look at only your best/most recent 2-3 years. I also have poor marks (worse that your's - or at least for more years) from years past.

Upon returning to university, I maintained about a 3.75 average, which makes me eligible to apply to UWO (min 3.7 for each of 2 years), Queen's (3.66 last 2 years), NOSM (3.0 WGPA), Dal (3.7/4.3 each of 2 years), Calgary (?3.7 over 2 years) and Toronto (asking for special consideration). Ottawa only looks at the most recent 3 years but requires approx 3.83. (The cuts I've listed above are last year's and may change.)

You are very close to these cut-offs, so hopefully you will be able to meet them. While my past lack of success certainly hasn't made my trip to medicine any easier, I believe that it will help me once in med school and beyond. It has helped me solidify what I want to do in life, and allowed me to gain life experience along the way. I don't regret spending six years working, and believe that doing so will actually be of greater benefit than going directly into medicine. Plus, once I am a physician for 25 years, will it really matter that I potentially could have been a physician for 31 years and never a paramedic? I don't believe so.

I wish you the greatest successes in the future!

Elaine

Guest liz80

Elliott, I believe not everything is lost. If you are wondering about UBC specifically (judging by the fact that you are from BC), they place a great emphasis on non-academic qualities (actually a whole 50% of pre-interview score is non-academic), and if you can showcase these in a very positive light, you might be able to secure an interview. A few tips - find out what your average is in percentage, converted from your GPA (since UBC goes by averages); do well on the MCAT (have you done it already?), and most of all don't stop volunteering and being really involved. You know, anything can be fixed, it just requires time. And ofcourse, you might need to provide some documentation and write special requests to explain the F's. But it is doable.

:)

Guest scrubbed

Hey Elliot,

Elaine already gave some good advice about which schools to apply to.

Queen's, Toronto, and UWO (I believe) also do not consider your province of residency, so that is to your advantage.

For U of C, it recently changed its requirements for OOP applicants, placing an emphasis on high MCAT scores in the VR and BS sections as well as GPA.

For UBC, obtaining an interview requires a minimum score out of 50 of which 12.5 is your overall average, which would include the poor courses, 12.5 is your best 60 credits, and 25 is your non academic qualities. The % to earn a maximum score for an academic section is 85%, an A average or a 3.9 GPA by OMSAS standards. I'm not entirely sure of the regression formula used to assess less than maximum GPAs.

For specific schools, I'd recommend Queen's, not only because of the residency requirements, but because if you meet the MCAT and GPA cutoffs, 32 and 3.66 (A- average) for the best two completed years and the time of application, academics are not further considered in the application process. You would be evaluated 50% interview and 50% personal qualities (sketch and reference letters).

NOSM may be good option as well:

Check out this link www.normed.ca/prospect/ad...s/faqs.htm

for more info.

Mac also has a more liberal minimum GPA policy, 3.0; however, I believe that GPA is 50% of the application and all courses are considered.

As for question 3, I'd say that based on your understanding of the skills and qualities that you think a doctor should possess and based on your interests, you should pick an activities that would allow you to develop as a person and that you would enjoy.

I wish you all the best with your pursuit.

Cheers.

Guest Elliott

Hi Everyone...

I am extremely impressed by each of you responses and knowledge. Elaine - it's enlightening to see someone who has come through the same experiences with a positive outcome.

I guess overall I was just looking for some reassurement... committing to the goal of medschool is exciting but also very scarey at the same time.

UBC is a wonderful school and I hope to study medicine there one day. It's amazing though how different all the requirements and weightings are for other schools.

I really appreciate the advice. It's slightly (ok, extremely) embarassing to let others know that you really made a mess of things when you first started out...

I am excited about the next two years and how full they are going to be. I have scoped out some clubs at UBC and have a few in mind...

I have yet to write the MCAT but have been looking over past exams. I think I will wait another year before I actually write it. I still have two years left in my UG so I am not too concerned about writing it early - unless for some reason you might recommend it?

Thanks again for the support,

Elliott

Guest scrubbed

Hi Elliott,

Regarding the MCAT, it may be advantageous to take it after your basic science courses are done (second or third year).

The only strong recommendation that I have is to take it earlier than August of the year that you plan to apply unless you feel very confident with your ability to score well. This way, you would be able to retake the test if you don't do as well as you would've liked the first time.

Cheers.

Archived