Premed 101 Forums

60% in first year bio, should I look for another career?

Guest willdation

Guest willdation

I got a 60% in first year bio, but I am retaking it this summer and will probably end up with an 85%. Knowing this course is a prerequisite for many medical schools, I feel as though there is little hope at entering medical school (even if I get an 85% average for the next 3 years, show strong leadership skills, and participate in a lot of extra curricular activities).

I KNOW I can do a LOT better and I am prepared to work hard. I don't want to give up, but I am curious as to what your opinions are on whether I have a chance as long as things go well in the future, of if you think I should look elsewhere.

Thank you and best of luck,

Will

Guest Isoceles

I got 6s and a 5 (on the 9 point scale) on two courses each of Chem, Organic Chem, and Biochem...yeah, these are fairly @#%$ marks..no, not that big a deal, as I got better marks later and simply don't apply to schools that put an emphasis on pre-reg avg. :D

Edit: HAHAHA.. this thing actually edits out the word cr*ppy..:rollin

Guest keltok

I agree with everyone here. My first year bio mark was about 65%, and of course, I was a little worried about this. I wound up using a different course, which I took later and did significantly better on, for my bio pre-requisite (Intro Cell Bio I believe). Many schools ignore your first year marks anyways, and doing poorly in first year is not a big issue, providing you can demonstrate an improvement over the next few years. Doing well in University requires different skills than doing well in high school, and sometimes they take a while to develop. AdComs know this.

Guest Icarus

well, i had a mark that was nearly that disappointing in third year human physiology and i still got accepted. so don't sweat. just don't make the same mistake too many times.

Guest fierysweet

My first year gpa was 2.8 and my overall gpa was 3.6 and i still got in. Just improve your marks and be consistent. A couple of Cs here and there aren't gonna kill you.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, my first year GPA was a smashing 2.08 on the OMSAS , so anything is possible!

HAHAHA.. this thing actually edits out the word cr*ppy..:rollin

Yeah, you can't say @#%$ either!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Lorae

You need to ask yourself what you want to be... and that's your answer.

If you say "I'll go into medicine if my marks are good enough, and if not I'll do something else" then you should ask yourself if you really have the drive/motivation needed to make it through the marathon that is medical school/residency.

That's not to say that back-up plans are unnecessary.

I just mean, that if medicine is your dream/passion, then a @#%$ mark in 1st year bio shouldn't even come close to stopping you!!

:)

Guest clinicalchief

I got 55 in my first university bio course and my first year average overall was ~71% (:eek ) For year 2, 3 and 4 however I maintained ~87%, so you do have to show improvement as you progress.

I was accepted this year (first time applying). I am another example of the classic 'underdog'.

Good Luck

cc

Archived