Premed 101 Forums

Who gave my email address out??

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

So I go to my email. I received an invite to attend Ross University's presentation in Calgary. WTF?

The email was in my regular mail not junk and it was addressed to prospective med student.

The only two culprits to give my email and address(they obviously knew I am around the Calgary area) info could be UofC or the MCAT people. I never have signed up for any premed stuff or give this particular email address out online for anything. Never inquired about the Caribbean or anything like it before.

I highly doubt it was the UofC, does the MCAT folks sell their email and address info??

Anyone else who applied this year get this email???

Guest cause2003

It was probably the MCAT people. I got that email today as well. Also, every now and then I get advertising in the mail for Caribbean medical schools.

-cause

Guest Steve U of T

I wrote the MCAT 3 years ago, and afterwards, got bombarded with a bunch of brochures from various schools (real, physical mail, not email). It seems the AAMC gives out your info to any schools that ask (or perhaps pay). The schools sending the brochures ran the gamut from caribbean med schools to US veterinary schools to a fancy booklet from the Washington University School of Medicine.

Guest canuck1

I just registered for the August test and remember two release questions that you answer after all of the survey questions. One is if you want to be included in a minority recruitment program (I can't remember what it's called) the other releases your info to the various schools. I'm sure that's how the schools get your email or physical address.

Guest happy2bme

At least I know I'm not alone.....I hate it when my email address has been given out, so much more @#%$ comes into my inbox that I can't filter out since it's addressed to me. I can block it but then they just change the sender info and resend it.

AAAGGGHH don't they make enough cash by way of the MCAT and not have to sell our info!

Can you not change your inbox filter to only receive mail from people that you have in your address book? Then check your junk mail occassionally to ensure you don't lose important mail from non-address book people in there?

Archived