Premed 101 Forums

how do you think the mcat cut-off will be for next year

Guest rubberoduck

Guest rubberoduck

curious thought,

we are probably all well aware that the double cohort is writing the MCAT this august. some say that the applicant pool will have a higher MCAT in general and therefore raise the MCAT cutoff for next year.

my opinion is that they probably shouldn't

the MCAT is a scaled score, which means that they are marked by your percentile rank. Suppose that the MCAT writers this year ARE more competitive than previous years, then by definition it would require that you answer more questions correctly to maintain the same score.

so does that mean the MCAT cutoff should be the same? I don't think the cutoff should fluctuate very much from year to year just because of the scaled nature of the MCAT. the mcat gives its score such that a fixed percentage of people get above the medical school cut-off score each year. so the only variable is in the number of people applying.

are we going to have an excessive number of applicants applying this year? well the number of people writing the MCAT this summer seems to indicate so. how will this affect the cutoff? by the current standard the cutoff is around 50% (9 in each subject). Add the effect of GPA, what do you think will happen to the cutoff for next year?

...I honestly don't know....

Archived