Premed 101 Forums

OH NO! Accepted into the NMP or IMP!

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Hello Everyone,

If I were to receive an acceptance this year, my response would not be as dramatic as my subject statement.

But what if your first choice was the VFMP (Vancouver-Fraser Medical Program) but you got the Island Medical program (IMP) or the Northern Medical program instead?

Would you still accept? I know we can hold a IMP or NMP position but remain on the waitlist for VFMP.

This year, the waitlist situation will be complicated. There'll be a waitlist for applicants not granted admission and a waitlist for successful applicants who didn't get their first choice.

I'm assuming that VFMP program will fill up first. Any thoughts?

But if you look at the IMP and NMP - each only has TWENTY-FOUR students. I know the benefit of a small class (as I am in right now at UBC) and I'm starting to think that the quality of education might be better with the obviously improved faculty-to-student ratio.

You'd get to know everyone really well for those 2 years you spend in Vic or PG. And the NMP would offer you more clinical work in those 2 years in smaller communities. Which means you MAY have better clinical skills. I've read that the rural elective between 2 and 3rd year med at UBC has strengthened the skills of many current med students. Rural doctors have more responsibilities and bigger case loads, so that means if you're shadowing a rural physician, then the same goes for you.

And I was also worrying - would the IMP and NMP people be at a disadvantage when it comes to CaRMs and matching? Do you think there will be pressure to pick "rural family medicine" as a residency if you're in the NMP program?

Or perhaps they'll gear you towards certain specialities needed in the north. These would include psychiatry, OB/GYN, radiology, general surgery, but not things like CV surgery or neurosurgery.

Any thoughts?

Guest soapyslicer

Physiology,

Where did you get the idea that it will be only two year in Vic or PG? You will do the first 4 months in van and after that you will move to you new site. You will complete you last 3.5 years at the other site. There is apparently some question whether we will need to come back for anything but I think much of it is up in the air.

I agree with you about the wait-list situation this year. It will be interesting to see what happens. I actually expect the NMP to fill first as they are doing a separate screening for these students(see FAQ's on UBC med website). As well there are only 24 seats it is likely they will try to fill it with those the sub commitee choose who also do well on the interview.

All in all I would love to be a fly on the wall to see how it all goes down. I know I wouldn't want the job nor would I want to be Joy and Angela doing all the paperwork that will accompany it all.

soapy

Archived