Premed 101 Forums

Didn't ask for reference letters!

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Hello everyone,

I got a late interview invite (received it today on February 16) and it told me who my interviewers were and when it is (March 15th). BUT, I never got any email asking for reference letters to be submitted!

So - I got my interview invite late, did not receive a reference letter request and my interview is 1-3 days later than most. Is that suggestive of something bad?

Guest not rex morgan

Congratulations!!

Send them an email asking about the letters. If you got an invite, they'll want them. Alert your referees ASAP, you'll be needing them. I'm sure it was just an oversight that they didn't ask.

In the meantime, don't worry if it's a "bad" sign. Who knows why the invite came out so late. Even if it does mean that your mark was borderline, keep in mind that there are so many applicants that the difference of one point can make a difference. If you do well in your interviews, you can make up that point. There is hope for you, I promise. Just focus your energy on preparing. :)

Hi. Congrats! The email you will receive containing the reference letters will not necessarily be right after the acceptance email. I didn't get mine until four days later. I'd give it a couple of days and if you still haven't gotten anything then give them a call.

iddle

Guest soapyslicer

Physiology,

Don't sweat it, somebody had to be interviewed on monday. I suspect they have full slates every day as they have so many to go through. I am sure the reference letter and stuff was just a slip as they were trying to get you your schedule quickly. I would just email, likely you would get it shortly thereafter as it appears most who have had to contact them have had quick replies.

soapy

Guest canstowski

I think the interview itself is worth 50% of the total file score. Hence, even if you are a full point or two lower, you can TOTALLY make it up with a splendid interview. ;)

Guest 4EverRose

Hello physiology,

Congrats on your interview invites. Have you replied to UBC to confirm your email address? For me, I confirmed my email address and then they email me the reference letters the same day.

If you have confirmed your email address and still receive no reference letters within the next couple days, I would just email UBC. I have emailed them several times before (regarding document status, prerequsites, etc.) and they have been really responsive and helpful. Keep in mind that the due date for reference forms is March 15 (so less than a month away) - you wanna give your referees as much time as possible to fill up these forms :)

Guest physiology

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your expeditious replies! I wish the admissions committee responded this quickly :)

Anyway, it's strange because the interview invite didn't even mention emailing back to confirm. Neither did it tell me to ask for the reference forms.

It was like:

TO: John Doe

EMAIL: Johndoe@hotmail.com

SUBJECT: Your Interview Schedule

We are pleased to invite you to interviews for admission to the UBC Faculty ofMedicine Undergraduate Distributed Program. In this email, you will find details about your interview time and panel of interviewers. Please note that interview scheduling is non-negotiable.

DATE:         Monday March 15, 2004

TIME:        

800 Robson St., Vancouver, BC

INTERVIEW PANEL:

Dr. Kevin Black

Dr. Waqar Haque                       

Ms. Tasia Alexis

Then some other stuff about how I'll be receiving more stuff later (no mention of ref forms though). I wonder why I received mine in such an uncoordinated fashion! I have a feeling that the stronger applicants received theirs two Fridays ago. But anyway, I got an interview, and that's all that matters right now.

Thanks for your support. It's greatly appreciated.

It'll be great o meet you guys the day of the orientation(s)!

I'll grab the microphone on the night of the orientations and yell "I'm PHYSIOLOGY! FROM THE Canadian Premed & Med School Forums!"

Haha..anyway...see you there :)

Guest sleepless in Vancouver

I think that the e-mails are sent out in a rather disorganized fashion. What's your first letter of your last name? Perhaps it is alphabetically? Or are you an in-town (Vancouver) applicant? Maybe they send them out by geographical region?

BTW, what time does the Med office send out these e-mails?

Guest Makunouchi

I wouldn't worry about which day your interview is. You have been invited for one, and that's all that matters.

Same advice as others have been saying... give them a shout to ask for those forms so you can get them to your referees.

Good luck!

Guest Phil667

Hey physiology,

I just glanced at the post of your email and found that we have the same interview panel (although I am on a different day). Have you found out much about any of them yet?

Phil667

wowee, UBC certainly has lots of interviewers. I havne't seen anyone interviewing with the same panel as mine.

Dr. Paramjit Bhui, Dr. Mary Kelm and Allen Anderson.

aiko.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think, when I spoke with Admissions a bunch of weeks back, they noted that there were 150 interviewers taking part in the selection process this year. Quite the feat of co-ordination.:)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

I found out why I got my interview invite was so late.

Apparently, my hotmail was bouncing and my cell phone was all full-up on messages (that I don't know how to erase). A lady at the admissions office ended up calling my house today, good thing dear ol' momma was there to answer the phone (then she called my cell).

So they were trying to contact me for the past two weeks!

I should have gotten the interview invite two Fridays ago.

BTW, interviews are given out based on last name. Since I'm in the W section, hence the late interview.

Guest physiology

Phil667,

I did find out info on Ms. Alexis (who she works for, what type of document she co-authored) and Dr. Haque, but zippo on Dr. Black.

Anyway I can contact you?

Guest sleepless in Vancouver

Hey physiology,

Are you saying that interviews are scheduled according to last names? So people with last names at the end of the alphabet have Monday interviews? Or are they sent out via e-mail according to last names?

Guest Phil667

Hey phisiology,

Yea, I found info on Dr. Haque and Ms. Alexis too. But nothing on Dr. Black. I guess that is just too common of a name. I'm guessing that he is a practicing physician somewhere in BC.

If you want to contact me you could drop a message in my ezboard inbox.

Guest physiology

Sorry for replying so late Sleepless in Vancouver. But what I was told was that interviews are based on your last name.

This makes a little sense to me as I have fellow classmates who have last names that begin with S and P who have interviews on Monday, March 15th as well.

I remember asking the admissions lady why I got mine so late. Her reply was that it was impossible to contact me and she was kinda joking/pissed off about the fact that maybe I didn't want the office to contact me at all. That was hardly the case!

Anyway, she then said that interviews are given out according to last name, not how strong of an applicant you are.

I hope that helps! Did you eventually get an interview invite?

Archived