Premed 101 Forums

UWO Application

Guest Kicoati

Guest Kicoati

Hi,

UWO didn't ask for anything else accept the form and transcripts, and if there is any information I want to bring to their attention, I can put it on extra paper.

How many of you who applied actually added more information? Would they like to see personal statements and lists of awards/publications, etc?

Guest toothy jr

I didn't add anything, and managed to get in despite poor gpa/dat results. Of course, I had nothing to add anyway. You should be able append a resume or something like that, but it is uncertain if they will give it much consideration unless you highlight something really contributory (like being part of a dental research paper, for instance). The main selection criteria are gpa/dat/interview, so any extracurrics/awards would only apply to the interview anyway, right?

Guest Kicoati

Hi Toothy,

Thanks for your reply. How are you finding it in UWO? Do the students only get to see patients in 3rd and 4th years?

I really like UWO, do you mind telling what they do in the interview?

I am not sure if my gpa is poor or not, 3.66 after 4 years, and I am now finishing grad school. Not sure what their cut-offs are.

Guest toothy jr

Hi Kicoati,

At UWO we get to see one patient in year 2, as well as having to do various procedures on each other. The faculty lineup is in a "transitional phase" right now, much like in professional sports when the veterans leave as free agents and the torch is passed onto the rookies. So, there might be a bit of turbulence next year in clinic but should settle down by the time you are 3rd year (if you decide to come here).

When I had my interview there were two interviewers, and they ask set "scenario" questions like talking about your strengths/weaknesses, describe example when you triumphed by working as a team, what to do if you see someone cheat etc. Not sure if they still ask those :)

I think if your best two years avg is 85-90 you are competitive, it's iffy below that because then you need good DAT and interview scores. The MSc is worth bonus but not sure how much. The stats for the first years' is here:

www.fmd.uwo.ca/dentistry/...istics.pdf

Guest happychica

I noticed that competitive students need 2 years- each with a full course load and at least 80% in each of those 2 years....

Just wondering if anyone else deterred from applying after hearing that :(

Guest Kicoati

Is there a limit on how many pages of addition information I can send to UWO?

I am worried that my GPA is not strong enough and that my DAT may turn out bad. I am hoping to improve my status by showing some other experiences and publications that I have. :rolleyes

Guest Pearly Whites

hi guys! for the UWO application, the Background section... are we supposed to list ALL the courses we've taken since highschool? detailing even the highschool subjects? (ie. eng 8, socials 8, etc) thx!

Archived