Premed 101 Forums

Good DAT Score?

Guest Kicoati

Guest Kicoati

I think someone might have asked this before, but I have not checked way back into the forum history, please put up with me if this is repetitive and I would appreciate your help.

What would be a decent score on the carving test? I heard that UofT didn't look at it before, do they do it now? Most schools do put emphasis on it, right?

Would I need to get over 20 on every section in order to be competitive? Or even need to be in the mid-20s? :x

Guest Guyver03

For UBC, a score above 20 would be considered competitive, but I heard someone got in with 14 on the carving test, I don't know this person so I can't verify.

But don't be discourage if you got scores below 20, just apply anyway, you might still get in.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

From what I've heard, every schools weighs the DAT scores differently - I don't think that any schools are looking for a specific "threshold" score to decide who is worthy. Alot depends on the strength of the rest of your application (GPA, references, personal statement, etc.). If someone has a really good GPA and some great references but only gets an average score on some DAT sections I would think that they would still have a pretty decent chance at getting an interview - and that's where you can really make an impression. If your GPA isn't so competitive then you will probably need to do a bit better on the DAT to be considered for an interview.

I read somewhere that some schools won't consider you if you don't achieve a mininum carving score of 15. But I've recently heard about some scenarios that demonstrate otherwise. Along the same lines as the guy who got in at UBC with a carving score of 14, I remember reading a response on this message board from someone who got in to UofT with a carving score of 12.

It's probably best to focus on your application as a whole - if you're strong in most areas then the admissions committee might be a little bit more forgiving (nobody's perfect - although it seems like we're all trying to be ;) )

Archived