Premed 101 Forums

Oh my God!! what are they thinking.....

Guest LestatZinnie

Guest LestatZinnie

in addition to the probably most expensive tuition now in Canada, I noticed that UBC dentistry has raised the deposit after acceptance to $9000!!!! now is that crazy or what....I had to pay $2000, which I forfeited to go to a cheaper school. Now if it's $9000 I would've probably stayed.

What do you guys think of this? I just couldn't believe my eyes....:x

p.s. predents better start saving your pennies now :P

Guest tottihead

Yeah, i know, it's pretty messed up, but for me the only answer is a big ass student loan, and the banks are willing to give quite a bit to dent students, knowing that you'll be able to pay it back with relative ease.

Guest toothy jr

the size of the student loan doesn't matter... nobody wants to have to make $9000+interest just to switch schools. I figure it might take 2 months to net that kind of money for a new grad. So this pretty much ends people applying to UBC dents if they are checking out med school too.

Guest Pearly Whites

Forget about those who are checking out dent as a backup for med, what about those who are checking out other dental universities? This is highway robbery! >: If this is UBC's way of getting their first pick, it is just WRONG! they should attract students into choosing them, not tying them down with a $9000 deposit! btw, did you notice that UBC conveniently increased their tuition/clinical fee again?

Guest LestatZinnie

actually i think the tuition went down a little and the clinic fee went up. it's not really surprising since when i talked to them last year they already said to expect increases in fees over the next few years.

Guest predent2003

O my Gooooood!!!!

That is plain robbery~~~>:

I can't believe that they do such things! I know they said they want to get the best students out there, but they are not doing it in a mean way!

Other than the fact that people pretty much won't change school if they got acceptance from UBC (because UBC is the first one to send out acceptant letters), it would be difficult to take out $9000 from our pocket in Febuary since we haven't started on borrowing.

This is rediculous! I hope it is just a typo, which is highly unlikely. I must be that during the past years too many people switch out to other schools and they are piss off! Right LestatZinnie?? (just kidding):P

Guest Guyver03

Damn it, they have increased the deposit to $9000, way a go to stick it to the little guys like us. As if their insanely high tuition is not enough, now they want to jack up the deposit so no one will switch to a cheaper school for financial reasons. This is getting rediculous, if UBC is the first one to send out acceptance letter, and you have to pay within 2 weeks, that pretty much eliminates the reason to go to other schools. For me, I don't have $9000 to burn, but if I do get accepted at McGill after UBC, I'd high-tailed out of UBC and go to McGill, I'd still get cheaper tuition in the long run.

May whoever voted to stick it to the students burn in hell.:evil >:

Guest LestatZinnie

hi guyver:

u're right...even if u forfeit the 9k it's still lot cheaper to go to mcgill. i saved around 26k just this yr alone.

however, i also knew at least 2 ppl who got in mcgill but stayed at ubc. they live at home, so the cost of living on their own off-sets the benefit of lower tuition (rent + food, etc will run you 10-20k/yr)

so for those of you living with your mom and dad, ubc is still a very viable option. ;)

Guest Guyver03

Hey LestatZinnie, would you mind telling me your living expenses at McGill, are you living in the dorm? Even though living on your own in McGill without your parents might cause a bit more due to living expense, I would think overall it would still be cheaper to go UBC and live with parents, am I right? Not that I'm confident that I can get into McGill since my GPA is borderline for the requirement.|I

Guest toothy jr

I think this trick will deny smart but financially strained individuals from even applying, and could affect the overall academic/personal background of future classes. Not exactly the end of the world but certainly too right-wing for Canada :)

It will be interesting as to how much this increase in UBC's tuition and acceptance deposit will affect how many apply for this year and subsequent years. As well as how many people will turn UBC down when given an acceptance and how many will take the acceptance. i.e. will they need to go to waiting lists (people switching to cheaper schools once acceptances from other schools come out)

Will UBC interview a few more people this year for dentistry due to the increased tuition - knowing or not that people may turn them down due to financial reasons.

Though I agree with toothy jr this UBC tuition dilemma will (re)/strain individuals :(

Guest LestatZinnie

hi guyver: the rent around here runs from 600-800. i doubt dent students will get into dorm since they're reserved for undergrad freshmen. most people don't like living in dorm anyway since there's ample places for rent just around campus.

stef Y: ya it'll be interesting to look at the stats. the problem is, and correct me if i'm wrong, ubc only posts the stats of the first 40 ppl they offer admission to and tells nothing about which of the 40 actually end up in the class. so the actual gpa of entering class could be substantially lower than what they post. as for the waiting list, i remember one poster here actually said he was accepted late in the summer, after having been rejected, ie he didn't even make it to waiting list! i dont know if that's the norm or not. but even for medicine, i heard that one year they ended up accepting almost everybody on the waiting list.

Guest predent2003

LestatZinnie,

I've looked at UBC's student stats this year for both the first 40 accepted and the 40 actually enrolled. The gpa difference is like from 83.3 down to 82.4. And the DAT score is just a little bit lower. I can tell that there are quite a bit of people refusing offer because in the first round, there should were 20 males and 20 females accepted. But of the 40 enrolled, the number is like 24/16 or something like that. And therefore, if one guy withdraw, that mean 5 girls also withdraw (know what I mean?).

I think ubc kind of expect to see this because they are the first one to offer acceptant. But they should really try to keep the outstanding students in bc by improving the school quality rather than asking for a huge deposite, right?

Guest LestatZinnie

predent:

i totally agree with you. it is very unfortunate for the students since the deregulation of tuition by the BC government. dentistry is also the most expensive professional program to run, and unlike medicine, i don't think it receives as much funding from government. so i can understand why the tuition is so high. afterall, some US schools charge even more and every year there are still a number of canadians going there. nevertheless, i don't understand their rationale for raising the deposit so high, except maybe they want to make sure the students will show up at ubc when school starts rather than some other school (school loses money and reputation when students dont show/drop out).

i think the whole financial situation is very complex, not just at UBC dentistry but UBC in general. I mean they're charging like $5/day at B lot now? and our president martha piper seems to be keen on developing ubc property (i.e. building condos) rather than improving student education by renovating labs and reducing class size. of course with a $300k/yr salary she's chilling. now those are just my personal views and you are welcome to disagree. i really love ubc as a school (its student services far surpasses that of Mcgill) but its finances and administration are at times deplorable (no school is perfect).

anyway i think the bottom line is if you're certain dentistry is your thing and ubc is your only choice then pay the bloody tuition and be a DMD. you will be living frugal for a while during school and after graduation but over the long run the earning potential and the ability to do something you're passionate about will eclipse the tuition differences.

sorry for the long rant...i guess i miss ubc terribly and it's nice to discuss some of the its issues with my future colleagues :D

Hey people, Zinnie was actually talking about me. :b I received a rejection letter from UBC but got accepted at the end. Anyway, I like UofA more; in fact I had prepared to go to Alberta and all of a sudden got the acceptance letter from UBC. In Vancouver, I didn't really live in Vancouver district, and it usually takes 1 hour by bus to get to school, which is really inconvenient for me. Plus, my dentist said, I'll probably have to go to campus for study on the weekends, especially during the last two years or whenever I have anatomy class in the year. So, I figure it would be better for me to go to Alberta where I can take subway--just one stop and I'll be in class. What's more--I can study with the top second med school in Canada, so why not? (UofA still tries to beat UofT.)

Anyway, UBC has a lot of development going on on the campus. Lots of new buildings are being constructed. Plus, people are thinking to make the bus station underground, which is really cool. I guess they need money for those constructions. I think UBC also offers more scholarships/grants to students. Dental students can easily get $6000 grants, whether or not you live with your parents.

Wow, it starts to snow today in Edmonton.

Archived