Premed 101 Forums

McGill Tuition Cost??

Guest predent2003

Guest predent2003

Can someone (ie. LestatZinnie or anyone who in McGill right now) tell me approximately how much do you guys have to pay for your education each year?

Plus, does living in Montreal costs a lot?

Thanks guys!

Guest LestatZinnie

tuition for mcgill med/dent is one of the lowest in canada i believe. quebec is known for its low educational costs because i'm guessing it gets quite a bit of $$ from the gov. to keep it from separating from the rest of canada (correct me if i'm wrong):

Tuition + misc. fees is about 10k for the first 3 years

in 2nd and 3rd year you buy instruments, which you get to keep, for about 25-30k

in 4th year tuition + instrument is about 8k

the tuition/instrument fee will increase slightly over the years, however.

if you're in-province, you only pay half the tuition- so about than 5k per year (and the quebec students are whinining their tuition is too expensive!!! they're so spoiled, imo, since they can get bursaries up to 8k/yr!!)

rent for places within walking distance to school is $600-800/m.

hope this helps & good luck

Guest predent2003

Hey LestatZinnie,

how do you like Mcgill so far? By reading previous posts, I notice that you are also from UBC like me. Now you have started studying in Mcgill, do you have any comment or advice?

I really don't have much confident in getting into Mcgill since I am OOP, but since I really like that school, I am giving it a try! When will the OOP get to know if we get an interview or not, and when will we know the final decision?

Thank you so much for answering questions for me!

Guest LestatZinnie

mcgill is didatic and ubc is PBL so depending on your learning style it's very important. if you like to be spoon-fed and just go to lectures, take notes more than a lot of group discussions, then didatic is more appropriate for you.

i wouldn't worry about being oop because i think mcgill takes more than 10% oop, unlike ubc. i think this year there are like 6-7 oop in a class of 30. do well in the interview have have good gpa/dat and you'll be fine.

interview date is around jan/feb., and if you're accepted in the first round you'll know before march.

I miss UBC and Vancouver terribly and if the tuition at UBC is not so high I would have stayed there. But then there are some ppl who think montreal is the greatest city ever, so your mileage may vary.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guyver03

Can you guys elaborate what is the difference between diadatic and PBL?? I'm did not know that there exist a difference in teaching styles between schools. Also where can I find out the teaching style of Canadian dental schools? Thanks you two ;)

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

If you're going to a completely unrelated subject, please start a new thread and give it an appropriate title. ie. "Which dental schools are PBL vs lecture-based?"

The original title of this thread is on McGill tuition, so setting up a new thread makes it easier for people to figure out what you're asking about, and also for others to find the information again later on if they are browsing through the forum.

Thanks!

Ian

Archived