Premed 101 Forums

questions about UBC Tuition

Guest Neo888

Hello everyone

I'm just wondering when UBC would post the tuition for 2004/5 class. Also what is the current tuition for this year's first year students? I heard it's pretty expensive. Is it possible that the tuition would go down in the near future.

Thanks

Guest predent2003

No, UBC are not going to reduce their tuition, at least for a while. The school is going to charge about 40K per year for the 4 years of DMD program.

The school is saying that they will build a new building to accommadate more patient and better equipments, but that will not take place in the next couple years because the school has not even picked the location and planed out the building detail. So imo, I think UBC is charging a little bit too much.

Guest LestatZinnie

i agree that UBC tuition is on the high end of the scale...

however there are many many people who pay even more to go to dental schools in the states when they dont get in canadian schools, so i'm not sure if getting students would be a problem......what do you guys think......if you get in a cheaper school school would you go to UBC? (i chose to go to a cheaper school)

it'd be interesting to wait and see this year's entrance stats to check out if the number and quality of applicants are influenced by the high tuition...:)

Guest bcdentalgirl

I would too..unfortunately, I think a lot of people are going to make decisions based on cost.

From an insider I can tell you that the cost is a bit lower than the projected (although not that much) For instance, they projected cost of books is about 1500 whereas in reality you pay about 500 (if you don't mind used and photocopies). Another thing, if you're UBC dent and you have a student loan, you'll automaticly get a 6000$ bursary (sometimes even more if you can plead your case).

So out of my own pocket (what I'll have to pay back), I'm spending 32,000 this year (that includes living expenses). The rest is covered by bursaries, grants, etc.

If any of you are considering UBC, I highly recommend it. You'll have a blast!

Archived