Premed 101 Forums

Waitlister support group

Guest Dub

How are my fellow waitlisters out there doing??

Personally, I'm a little stressed out - this uncertainty is killing me! heh. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, just in case, but I'm still hoping (a little bit, at least) :)

From what people have said on this board, the waitlists will move a lot in the next couple weeks! There's still hope!

but still, waiting's no fun. :x

Good luck fellow waitlisters!

....Now let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"...

hahahaa - that's really funny

and i think that's what i really need right now.

being on waitlist ruined my summer or whatever's left of it.

i've lost all hope when i heard from Western that they haven't even taken anyone from the waiting list since July 15.

i think it's best to face reality - i've wasted my summer 'hoping'. i really thought i had a good chance. but now, i'm definitely prepared not getting into dents this year.

but not to get you all down - both schools (UofT and Western) are keeping their waitlists 'active' till the first week of school.

Guest Skippybarf

my summer has not been as enjoyable as it could have been bc of the waitlist. im going to nyu on wed. and i was number 15 on the waiting list from the beginning (3 now) and everyone said for sure im getting in. weird year. what are you guys/girls? why is there a lot of movement in the next couple weeks? remember, this is based on averages and this year certainly isnt average as we can all attest to.>:

Good luck to all of you

Western First installment will be due on the 20th. Maybe spots will open up then, because ppl paid $1000 deposit and didn't bother to notify that they accepted offers to other school. So for those who are on the UWO waitlist, hopefully you will hear from them... GOOD LUCK, hope to see ya there

Cheers

Hey,

JD: yeah, I know what you mean about being waitlisted kind of ruining the summer. But, keep your head up and if it doesn't happen this year, try again next year. That's my plan, anyway. I mean, the fact that we got waitlisted means that the schools are at least interested in us and we do have what it takes. If you don't get in this year, take the opportunity to rewrite the DAT, up your scores, and by this time next year, we'll be happily accepted and away we go!!! :D

Skippybarf: Since you're #3 now, I think you still have a good chance of acceptance. Somebody said that the deadline for the deposit was Friday, 8 Aug and if people didn't pay by that date, they automatically lost their acceptance and thus, they would have to move into the waitlist.

I'm hoping a LOT of people didn't pay up. lol.

I started off on the UT waitlist at #36 and pretty much gave up right then and there, but I kept reading on this message board that UT has gone down to the 40's consistently over the past few years, so that brought back some optimism. But now, I'm back down to not expecting anything... When I last called UT, I was #23...

As for UWO, waitlisted there too, but I know for sure nothing's going to happen for me there.

It's all about next year. woo!

Guest bcdentalgirl

I can't believe that the deadline for deposits are so late. At UBC, the (2000$) deposit was due in April, and for this reason, waitlisters can be pretty certain that the list will not move.

For schools to keep the question open for so many people at this point, they clearly have not contemplated the emotional strain it puts on people. You deserved to have a summer free from worry and uncertainty.

Hey, bcdentalgirl, I'm not sure whether the waiting list isn't moving at all at UBC. You see, I'm not even on the waiting list (in fact I received a rejection letter saying that I wasn't on the waiting list because I didn't attain certain levels of scores), and yet I got an email from UBC that I've been accepted. How wierd. I've planned to move to UofA some time next week, and now I received that UBC letter. I'm not sure what to do now.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hmmm.. that is weird. Someone with 2000$ to burn dropped their application maybe? Anyway, hopefully I'll see you in 2 weeks (I mean Alberta vs. BC? c'mon ;) )

Guest LestatZinnie

thanks bcdentalgirl!!

i've been here for about a week and i'm bored to death!!

no words can express how much i miss the life (and particularly the food) in vancouver.

anyway, i'm going to go back to vancouver during breaks so let's keep in touch and share our different experiences sometime ^_^

good luck with your studies!

Well Skippybarf, I think the following news will cheer you up even though this has ruined most of your summer, you will get an email and a phone from UofT next Monday / Tuesday. Because my friend who is number #14 on the original waiting list will be rejecting UT offers to go to UWO (his first choice). Personally, I am going to Western too, I rejected UT after finding out I got in on End of June (oh well wasted 2k). Since you are #15, logically you will be called next, good luck in UT, but keep in touch in this forum. But let me know when you received UT's email... =)

Cheers:rollin

Guest Skippybarf

i was actually just going to post that. i got a phone call (my mom did, i was at nyu thinking i was going there) on thursday saying i was accepted. it was weird bc i called the day before and they were still on 13. ya i guess 13 also rejected it or two people dropped. either way im in and im sure there's more to come on the waitlist. i know the 20th on the waitlist and he's going to law school and im sure there are many more like him.

good luck to you all and best wishes at western and others

Guest peachy

Congrats, Skippy!

It looks like the waitlist is just flying - it's at #20 as of today (a friend of mine called up). Here's hoping this keeps up:)

Guest Skippybarf

for the congratulations/graduation, hehe and keep letting us know how far down the waitlist goes.

whoever complains (rightfully so) about tuition in canada (ANYWHERE!) they should start comparing themselves to people in the US or other countries, but mainly the US. a year at nyu would have cost me $80 000 US, including living. those students are in WAY worse positions coming out. we are really lucky being in canada and being canadian, except that half our earnings go the government.

Guest UWOMED2005

That's just it. I'm not sure about dentistry, but for meds the situation is such that, yes, our tuition is cheaper than had we gone to Harvard, but we'd also make a whole lot more on grad - both in terms of net earnings, and especially after tax.

And it's not entirely appropriate to say American schools are way more expensive than Canadian schools because they have a much more heterogenous funding system with both private and public schools, and huge differences state to state. That $80 000 figure probably applies to one or a group of schools, but if you look across the board that's almost certainly not the case across the board. In terms of undergrad schools, I have a friend who went to Cal Polytech (not Cal tech) and paid either $1200/year or per term (I can't remember which, but in any case it was CHEAPER than Canada.)

And lastly, my understanding is the US has a much more extensive grant system to support students who are having trouble pursuing their degrees. At the least, students doing grad work in the US get grants well over and above Canadian students.

Some stuff to think about. Don't become complacent when someone from the university, ministry of education or govt loans feeds you that line about "well at least you're not in the US."

I hope people don't get paid USD$5 - $6/hour in NY. In Vancouver, the minimum hourly wage is around $8 Canadian dollar. If the cost of living in NY is high, the tuition will be probably high there.

I mean, when we look into tuition expenses, we should consider the cost/standard of living too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ubcdent

Hi BBB,

I was just wondering...you said you got rejected b/c you didn't attain a minimum level of scores, was that for the interview? And now you got accepted?

The score I referred to is the overall score, but I'm 100% sure the culprit was the interview. :)

Why? What are you trying to solve? Incoming applicants and I will appreciate your enlightenment.

Guest LestatZinnie

hmm...i did biochemistry....so i guess we probably havent met. i know at least 2 ppl from biochem in your class this year though...anyway lets keep in touch as i think it'd be nice to share some dental school experiences

my email is asukaeva02@hotmail.com

hv fun in dental school!

Archived