Premed 101 Forums

True Stats to Get in

Guest Hegdehog

Guest Hegdehog

Hi!

I've gone over most of the previous postings on this board and was wondering if any of you can please tell me how one should best prepare themself for dents at both U of T and UWO.

In addition, I know a competitive GPA is 3.7, but the cut-off is 2.8 (for U of T). Have any of you heard of true cases where someone with anything less than 3.5 getting in? And if so, did they have great volunteer experience to make up for a "low" gpa?

Thanks!

Guest koft

Don't let the low GPA cut off posted on both UT's and UWO's websites fool you. I don't believe dental schools, at least UT and UWO, truly look at extracurricular activities, maybe in Med school (mostly McMaster), nor does that factor into the admission process. As far as I know I haven't really heard of anyone (correct me if I am wrong) at UT (their own GPA scale) under 3.5 or UWO (under 82%) got in. I might be wrong on that.

I hope that clarify a bit for you

Cheers

Guest toothy

I think dental schools don't look at extracurrics specifically but maybe they are somehow useful in helping you relay your experiences during the interview.

There's nothing wrong with having sub-par grades, just take another year of undergrad (the so-called victory-lap) to pull it up. Going to the states is another option but losing a year to do undergrad is so much cheaper than all the debt incurred from schooling down there.

Guest Hegdehog

Thanks so much for the reply! :)

Can someone please confirm...does UWO look at the actual percentage of your grades and not the GPA itself (because my GPA is not reflective of the actual percentages that I calculated), whereas U of T looks purely at GPA?

With doing an extra year of undergrad...can I complete that year after I've graduated?

Thanks again! :)

Guest koft

UWO looks at the best 2 academic years in terms of percentage not GPA!

Just look at their stats posted on UWO FMD website. It will tell you the class of 2006 admitting averages.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest Bleepo

Hi there,

Does anyone know what the stats are on admissions into U of T Dentistry? Like, how many people apply, get an interview and how many spots they have in their program or how many people they accept? Thanks!

Archived