Premed 101 Forums

Application

Guest sleepless in Vancouver

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I believe a few people lodged some application appeals last year or the year before. I'm not sure of the outcomes of those, but it certainly seems that there is a process in place.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sleepless in Vancouver

I just think that who I am as a person makes my application worth appealing for. I know that I am a doctor-type and have shown growth, maturity and experiences that support that. I hate the fact that my whole life is just worth a score, a number on a ladder. I'm more than just that X number of marks that I get from doing that hospital volunteer work. There's the big picture of "me" and that's worth fighting for.

I know that things seem bleak. Perhaps I just need to hear them say it to my face. I'm an actual person and I don't see how a score really reflects who I am and how high is my potential.

Hi Sleepless,

I know how you feel as I am without an interview as well. I would suggest that you wait until your feedback meeting and you can see where you can improve for next year. We all think we are "doctor type" or we wouldn't be applying! Unfortunately with 1300 applicants they need to draw the line somewhere. People who are more than qualified will be excluded. That's just the way it is. This is my first application, but I have heard from friends that have gone through the feedback process that UBC is often looking for very specific things in your non-academic profile. Yes we are all more than a score out of 50, but they have to find some way of quantifiying the "intangible" stuff. At least UBC has a feedback process which is more than what some schools offer!

Keep in mind that this year they have apparently changed the marking of the non-academic profiles. But here's an example. Let's say you volunteered in an extended care facility. You can't just state "volunteer at extended care at XYZ hospital". You really need to be specific about the type of patients you worked with and what exactly you did. They aren't going to read between the lines. You will only obtain points for what you explicitly state. It might sound a bit nit-picky, but the people who read these probably don't have a lot of time to spend trying to get you all the points possible. I think that a pretty common mistake among first time applicants is just simply stating where they volunteered and not giving enough detail. You really need to put in key words that show what you did. In your essay you can expand on what you learned from these experiences.

Let me just say this is really second hand info from what a friend of mine was told at her feedback session last year. Anyone else with first-hand knowledge is welcome to correct me or share their own experience! Oh yeah and seeing as how I didn't get an interview I might not be the best choice to take advice from! :lol

Guest soapyslicer

SIV,

They will not engage in the appeal process until you have had your post rejection session. At that you will be given details of how you scored and what they perceived as a weakness. I have been through the process and can tell you that this information is invaluable. To start with you will not win any appeal based on the fact you are a strong candidate. You could take it all the way to the senate and all Med has to say is that "we had 1300 strong applicants, we used this method to evaluate them. The method was used the same way across all applicants and this applicant scored X. In comparison to our other applicants this puts this applicant at X percentile. As our cutoff for interview was X this applicant did not make the bar."

The senate must have a solid piece of evidence that your file was evaluated differently or they were biased against you in some way and you must be able to prove it. I know of only one appeal that was won in recent(5years) history and that was someone who had a mistake made in their calculation of their overall gpa. She was not given a interview. During her post rejection meeting she caught the error. During her appeal, med said they would guarantee her an interview the following year. She said that was not good enough and brought in a lawyer. She eventually was given a seat.

I highly recommend instead that you go through your meeting, look at all of the info they give you. If you are not given all of your scores in detail then apply to get your file through the freedom of info act. I doubt it will be necessary as they are very good at giving you detail of all your marks but this may change this year. At that point you can see in detail were you compared to other applicants.

Take heart. I know how hard it is to be rejected. Two years ago i was rejected post interview and last year I never even got an interview. Use the year to your advantage. See to it that you beef up anywhere you scored low this year and come right back next year.

Hope the meeting goes well, Dr Frinton is a wonderful person and will be a great source of information for you.

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding the feedback sessions, the person with whom you speak will review your academic and non-academic profiles with specfic reference to the UBC assessment schemes. So, for example, with respect to the academic profile, they will tell you if it is your pre-requisite GPA that's hurting you, or your last 60 credits, or your overall GPA. For the non-academic profile, they generally will point out areas of weakness with reference to their assessment criteria, e.g., leadership skills, human endeavour, etc., and will often provide examples of what it takes to score well in these categories.

Again, please bear in mind that this is what was done in the past. Policies, approaches and marking schemes can change.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived