Premed 101 Forums

Class Introductions (don't be shy)

Guest MrNeuroscience

I'm going to California in a few days and although I'm excited to explore LA and San Fransisco (alone! eek, let me know if you've been/have advice)

Used to live in Cali (from which most Dal posters will know me). How will you be getting around? No problem if you don't have a car in SF. Public transit can get you pretty much anywhere. The Castro is always fun, as is Chinatown and Golden Gate Park. SFMOMA is a great gallery. Make friends along the way and bring them for a drink at the Francis Drake. Then stumble over to the Gold Dust on Union Square for some ultra cheese; if you can stomach it, there's a picture of Ralph Klein on the wall... consider it a scavenger hunt. If you have a car and time, drive through to Sonoma, Half Moon Bay or Monterey area. The Pac Highway is a MUST DRIVE sometime in your life. I've done it in all three cars I have owned, with video to prove it. Even better if you are driving to LA. Stop into Santa Barbara (or get lost wine tasting in St. Ynez) and have breakfast at Andersen's Bakery, an institution and the BEST pastries on earth.

LA is another bag altogether. Transportation is a nightmare, even with a car. I prefer being in the beach communities in Malibu, Santa Monica, Laguna or Huntington Beach (best place for chill, non-territorial surfers by the pier), but if you must shop, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica are the best. If you want to surf, check wave conditions at surfinside.com. Waves aren't great in the summer and it's pretty crowded, but I had five straight days of head-highs a couple of weeks ago in Solana Beach, so you never know. A must see is The Getty. The free admission and the escape from the city (high above it) is so worth it. The last thing you must do in SoCal is eat fish tacos. Wahoos makes great ones, and Rubios is decent.

Have fun and see you at Dal! :)

Archived