Premed 101 Forums

Class Introductions (don't be shy)

Guest MrNeuroscience

Guest MrNeuroscience

Alright, so I saw this in a few other forums, and thought it would be a good idea...

So we all already know know what each others GPA's are, MCATs, extracurric's etc etc etc. so how about we introduce ourselves (as people!), so I'll start;

I am from Halifax originally and have lived here pretty much all my life. I went to Dal and have been working as a bartender for the last 4 years (I cannot WAIT to hand in my notice!). I love to travel, and can't wait for next summer (I know, looking pretty far ahead) to see what sort of student trip is being put together.

Oh yeah, and I have a dog named Guinness (but he lives at the parents, you know, with a big yard for him to run around in)

Guest scooter

Great idea, I'll add mine and a bit of stuff...

I'm from Riverview (well 7 years ago) went to Uni in Ottawa, did a year in the south of France (who knew scuba diving is a credit worthy course:p ). Was poor and in need of a little adventure after 5 years of undergrad so decided since I knew nothing of Japan and didn't speak the language that i should move to rural northern Japan. ;) Not that bad of an idea after all... but a touch lonely hence the excess number of posts. Though that is changing now that my apartment is being invaded by bugs (I call the big one Nakata).

Hobbies: board games, rock- climbing, running , shoes

Dislikes: onions and the giant white thing crawling on my wall

Favorite Tv: Doctor Who

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Unique Talent: Bending rules

:hat

Let's hear from the rest of the lot, I can't wait to meet everyone and start to panic about messing up :x

Guest HaliEngineer

Hey all,

I'm a Cape Bretoner, born and raised, and spent a few years in Ontario doing my undergrad (Queen's Sci'04) before ending up back on the EC. I'm married (1st anniversary August 5th!) and live in Cole Harbour with my wife, a teacher at Cole Harbour High, also a Caper. We've got a dog (Yellow lab named Maggie), she's a 4-year old terror who still thinks she's a 6-month old puppy.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Guest MrNeuroscience

What is it with Labs? Guinness is 6, and he has more energy then 14 puppies (well, maybe a little exaggeration).

Hali- I actually went to Auburn Drive High (graduated '01) so I guess that kind of makes us rivals (Eagles vs. Cavs!).

Congratulations on the (nearly there) 1st year anniversary!

Guest Lumberjack55

Hey guys. I'm from halifax but I've lived in quite a few different places: ontario, conneticut, and south america. I just graduated with a chem degree from acadia and pumped to start out in dal in september. I also really enjoy travelling so I would most definitely be down for a student trip next year! At the end of July I'm going backpacking in Asia for a month before school starts. Right now I'm just finishing up some research in acadia before I head out. I'm really looking forward to orientation week and meeting everyone and so happy to stay in halifax. I really have to brush up on my biology though. Chemists are not that good at bio. I recently read the world is flat. Great book. Oh one of my favorite movies is city of god. Actually I think I'll watch that again tonight...

Guest Madz25

Hey all,

I'm from Moncton (moved there when I was 16). Didn't care too much for the east coast until I went to UofT for undergrad and realized how wrong I was!!! Im so happy to be back in the maritimes!!! :)

I watch tons of TV - which I'm afraid I might have to cut back on.... *sigh*

Fav book is Harry Potter! I just read all 6 books and watched all 4 movies in the last 4 weeks and I'm obsessed!

Im not a sporty or outdoorsy person...but I enjoy sketching and I can play a few instruments (not all that great though lol)..

Oh, and I'm a dog lover too :)

Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Madz

Guest overjoyed

Hey HaliEngineer, what engineering stream were you in?? a couple of my good friends were also sci'04, perhaps you know them....?????

a bit about myself: i've lived in a couple of places, but since 8 years ago Halifax has been home. I just graduated from Queen's with my BScH, so i'm looking forward to coming home to the east coast.

For most of June I've been backpacking Europe and loved every minute of it! So i've definitely been bitten by the travel bug. I, too, am already thinking about where to travel to next summer (or this winter even!) - glad to hear that there are other travel enthusaists out there.

I also watch (watched) a lot of TV....but the place i'm subletting for the summer doesn't have cable - which is probably a good thing. Let's see, other random facts about myself...love playing volleyball, i'm excited that dal med has an intramural team. have you guys heard of medgames?? a friend told me about it, and it's bascically a weekend sports tournament between different med schools...sounds like a lot of fun. i digress.

i can't wait to meet all of you in person in August! Hope everyone has a great rest of the summer.

Guest MrNeuroscience

I can't wait for medgames!

However, the way I heard it, its more of a "drink-as-much-as-you-physically-can-then-throw-up-and-drink-more" occasion, with intramurals being played by those not passed out...

But I could be wrong!

Guest scooter

Mr Neuro, you say that like it is a bad thing!! One of my schools we did something similar (Poli Sci) and I can say A BLAST!! You just stop drinking for the intramurals and then after winning gold you get drunk again... after I ran 3 km I was offered water or a beer (I took the water... it was 30 C!)- but wasn't allowed to drink before teh important race... the rival school had a member of the national team... she won..

Guest Janer17

Hi Guys,

This is my first post.. so it may have sent twice...

I am 22 and from Charlottetown PEI. I just finished my biology degree at Mount Allison University in May. I am currently in Germany as I decided to travel Europe for the summer before our hectic 4 years begins! I am here for 10 weeks and get home 4 days before orientation:So here is me in a nutshell:

Hobbies: Scuba diving, dancing, travelling, skiing

Dislikes: tomatoes, European keyboards

Favorite food: crepes and chicken fingers

That is about it I guess. I am very excited to meet everyone in the fall. I hope everyone is having a great summer and I will see you all soon!

Guest NBdancingMD

Hey everyone, I'm super stocked to be able to add a class introduction because I just got my email today!! I'll be joining ya'll in Sept.

A bit about me...I'm from SJ NB and did a dance degree at York U in Toronto, worked as a modern dancer for a couple of years, decided to go back to school and came upon medicine (yah, I know, quite the change). I've spent the past two years doing a BSc in Montreal (love the city, sort of sad to be leaving it) but am happy to be heading back out east.

So glad I took this summer to relax before really cracking down in Sept...I've been spending my summer in France! à bientot a tous!

Guest zakiyaa

Hello everyone!

I'm 25 and hail from the lovely province of New Brunswick. I did my undergrad at UNB and am currently languishing away at Dal finishing my M.Sc.

I'm stoked to be going to Dal in the Fall and can't wait to meet the rest of the class. I also can't wait to finally be done thesis writing...:o

Hobbies: dancing, outdoorsy stuff, going on "road trips", walking, cooking, singing

Dislikes: Mayonnaise and relish (evil stuff!!)8o

Favorite TV: not sure at the moment, used to be Survivor...

Favorite Book: the Harry Potter series! 0]

Favorite Dog: my golden retriever, Chelsea....she's 13, but still thinks she is a puppy

Guess that's it...you'll have to wait until Orientation Week to find out more....:P

Guest Night Moves

OK, I'll play along too.

I'm on the bad side of 27, originally from Vancouver by way of Montreal and Toronto. I completed an MSc in Molecular Genetics at UofT in '03 and have since come to realize through a few jobs that my degree has a very low ceiling, hence the change to medicine. As of now and ending next week I'm doing some research right here at Dal. I too am wicked stoked to get things started.

Enjoys: baseball, golf and disc golf, foozball (don't think I didn't notice both tables in the med lounge), indie rock, reading, and the heartening trend of good music in commercials.

Could do without: the other commercials

TV: Arrested Development (R.I.P.)

Book: Barney's Version

Dog: One year old boxer named Dennis. He enjoys sitting on laps, being disobediant and pooing where people walk the most.

Over and out.

Guest cmrtn

Hey Guys/Gals

I'm 23, from Miramichi, New Brunswick, I graduated from Mount Allison Hon. Biochem in '05, and then spent a year teaching high school/volunteering. I'm pretty psyched to be attending Dal in the fall, and even more psyched to have a good excuse to grow a rocking pirate beard for oritentation.

Likes: Baseball/Hockey/Football/Basketball (looking forward to intramurals), 24/The Wire/Sopranos/Seinfeld/Arrested Development, '60's pop/early punk/90's indie/'00's indie pop. Naps.

Dislikes: Hangovers

Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall, orientation looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jumblygirl

Hi-- as I've been haunting this site for 2+ years now, I guess it is time to actually out myself!

I'm 28, currently residing in the Annapolis Valley. I did my undergrad at Mt.Allison, and Master's at York U in English Lit. Becoming embroiled in the arcane world of literary academia was not my bag... I wanted something more hands-on. Several years of soul-searching, studying, volunteering and application-writing later, here I am.. very excited to start at Dal this fall!

Dog: actually I have a ferret. No- she doesn't bite.

I'm not great on 'favourites' but I can always reread Alice in Wonderland, Jane Eyre, or Watership Down.

I'm notoriously terrible with pop-culture references, so I won't go into favourite movies.

hobbies: anything outdoors and active, and lots of stuff indoors too. Pretty much too numerous to list.

Guest research101

Formalities: 20yo, M, SJ-NB, McGill U Physiology Alumni

Interests: soccer, squash (anybody need a partner?), chess, napping, steak, arrested development, prison break, 24, house, playing nhl proline, and tasty wine.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks - R.

Guest pseudo07

21, SJ-NB, Queen's U, Statistics/Life Sciences

Interests: lots of sports, not good at any. Squash is something I picked up this past year. piano, 24, house, grey's, The Office.

research 101, you're from Saint John too?? We should meet up sometime and play squash. I'll bet I could snipe you in chess.

Guest doubledoc

27m, married (no children), from SJ-NB, but would rather not admit that. UNBSJ, McGill and soon to be UAlberta Alumni.

Big squash player, so always looking for partners with skills. Love motorcycling (own a sweet '04 BMW R1100S). Anyone into sport riding? I have already moved to Halifax, but am back in E-town for my PhD defense. I will be riding from Edmonton to Halifax mid-August.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!!

Ok since I was accepted way back forever ago, I guess I should make a post before September! Which shows one of my most prominent characteristics - procrastination. You will immediately know who I am when school starts, as I will be the last one to walk into the classroom.

I'm from PEI, did my BSc in biology/chemistry. DISLIKES include cell phone rings that don't sound like a phone ringing, olives, and the song from coronation street, LIKES include travelling, indie/canadian music (Night moves I second your comment about the commercials) - these two interests combine so that I'm always up for a roadtrip anywhere in the eastern half of Canada really, so if there's a good concert on and you need a travel buddy, I'm your girl!! Also love to scuba dive, this sort of sounds like a personal add doesn't it? Ok random facts:

Chipped my front teeth 3 times, once as a kid on playground, second time when I ran into a window (literally) in Montreal before a DMB concert, third surfing in Australia. Lived in Australia & Ecuador (briefly). I hold my pen/pencil between 2 fingers when I write. My dog Maggie is overweight and territorial and I love her to bits. Yesterday I was at a speech given by Bill Clinton and it was fabulous. I'm going to California in a few days and although I'm excited to explore LA and San Fransisco (alone! eek, let me know if you've been/have advice), I'm most excited for this amazing pirate shop in San Fran, it has tons of authentic pirate gear! Hopefully will still have room in my suitcase (weakness for shopping) - I am thoroughly in love with Jack Sparrow and if anyone looks remotely like him at O week I'll be smitten. Ok see you all soon!

Well, I guess it's my turn to add to the personals... (Medbella, I was touched by your post, as I know first-hand how crappy running into glass can be. Last summer, I was waitressing at a busy patio restaurant in Toronto after a long night of MCAT studying, and in my sleep-deprived stupor, carrying a tray full of beers and martinis, walked right into a glass door that was apparently closed and very clean. My costumers, though sad for the wasted alcohol, tipped me generously for the good laugh.)

Formalities: I'm 22/F, just graduated from U of T with an undergrad in psych & human bio. I've moved around a lot, lived in China/ Oregon/ Florida/ Virginia/ Halifax/ Toronto. (Mr.Neuroscience, I graduated '01 from Prince Andrew High, so I guess this makes it a Eagles/Cavs/Panthers rivalry now...:P )

Hmm, too lazy to list all my interests, but some include dance, sports and cars. (In fact, I am spending the next 2 weeks learning to drive the manual car I just got. This new task, combined with my already established heavy foot and aggressive driving tactics, means there is a chance I might not make it to Orientation at all.) I also enjoy travelling, and would love to plan some backpacking trips for next summer or local roadtrips throughout the year (but after the above driving warnings, clearly only the brave should come with..). Some other useless info about me: I like all types of music, indie rock bands, and naps; my preparation for med school has consisted soley of assembling a "piratey-sea-wench" costume; and I depend on drinking enough coffee each day to kill a small horse to get me through school. I suspect the amount will increase to even more dangerous levels once Med school begins.

Well, that's about it. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

-D.

BTW, I heard Dal came in #2 at Medgames 2005 and #5 in 2006. So far, this lot of introductions gives me good feelings for our chances in 2007! :)

Well, here I am, just got accepted off the oop list while backpacking in Thailand with my wife. Here's the low down on me. I'm 24, just finished my M.Sc in biomedical sciences at OVC at the U of Guelph. I'm married to my wife Latitia, who just graduated from teacher's college at York. I'm from just outside Guelph, a small town called Erin, where I grew up. I have a pet parrot but she won't be coming to Halifax with me. I love music and have been playing in bands since grade 9. My last band did pretty well and we played on the Vans Warped Tour last summer if anyone knows what that is. Sadly, right after that we broke up due to drummer problems. I play the guitar and bass guitar and have been known to keep a simple drum beat once in a while. I TA'ed the human anatomy course at guelph last year during which I honed my mnemonic skills writing rap songs put to music that I wrote and recorded on my Mac (in garage band). The students loved it and it seemed to help a lot of them. For sports and stuff I love hockey though I'm not very good, and I love ultimate frisbee. I'm a big fan of Amstel beer, pizza and ceasar salad, pad thai, Mac computers, music (especially by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros lately) and studying human physiology/anatomy. Can't wait to meet everyone and start!

Archived