Premed 101 Forums

anybody else pissed off?

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

is anybody angry that the adcom won't be giving feedback on unsuccessful applications this year? I find their "feedback" guide to be vague and pointless. My opinion of the adcom is rapidly changing.

Guest JewelLeigh

Feedback was a bonus to Dalhousie. Few medical schools provide it. Yes, it is definitely disappointing that Dal does not have the resources to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants anymore. However, given the ever-increasing number of applicants, it is not ridiculous nor surprising that with respect to feedback, Dal has to become a little more like almost all other medical schools. They are not doing this to piss anyone off, nor are they doing it to hurt applicants - it is simply a matter of resources and has absolutely nothing to do with the admissions committee.

The feedback guide does in fact give a lot of information with respect to what Dalhousie's admissions committee values in successful applicants. I would imagine that a feedback meeting would probably not have been much more specific and I personally think it was nice of the admissions admin to provide something - it's better than nothing like Ontario schools! :) Hopefully, potential re-applicants will have the critical appraisal skills to be able to use that guide to analyze their own application and know which areas where lacking or at least which areas could be shored up to make a good application great. I definitely think it's a great resource to indicate the areas of someone's application that cause them to be rejected - thus any applicant can improve their application by improving the specific areas stated in the guide.

Again...I understand the frustration that the wonderful bonus of feedback is no longer available at Dalhousie, but I emphasize that it was a luxury, and one that resources no longer permit. It is definitely unfortunate for unsuccessful applicants from this cycle:(

Keep trying though guys...there are so many people who get in after their second, third, etc., attempt - if you really want it and feel you'll be fantastic docs, then keep improving your application and you'll make it :)

I wish you all luck! :)

Archived