Premed 101 Forums

Explaining a withdrawal from Graduate studies?

Guest Lokia BC

Guest Lokia BC

I was in an MSc in Biochemistry program for 2 years. I recently withdrew from the program for many reasons, though mainly because I had been working at a project that had gone nowhere. My supervisor and I mutually decided for me to terminate that project and start a new one. Thus, I would be strting over from scratch. I decided not to continue out of frustration and a general learned dislike for research.

How am I going to explain this in my interview? I would like to put a positive spin on an otherwise negative event in my life.

Guest MDSMelissa

Hi Lokia,

I think this is a great example to demonstrate a situation where you learned a lot about yourself and your limits. As well, you demonstrated that you knew when the project wasn't going anywhere and you were able to make the decision to stop.

I think you can definately use this experience as an example of personal growth!

Good luck with your interview!

Guest Makunouchi

Hi Lokia

Sorry your project didn't work out, especially since it had been 2 years.

I think it would be good to explain what it is about research that does not appeal to you in terms of a career, and why being a physician is what you truly want to be. Perhaps specific to your situation, I would think that they would also like to know that you are aware of what is entailed in medical school and the profession, so that your dedication to your new career choice comes through.

As long as you understand what you have learned from an experience, bad or good, I think it should be okay.

G'luck!

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I think you've gotten some great advice from the other posters. Not everyone who starts out in research will end up there, and the vast majority of medical students will become practising clinicians, and not academic physicians. If this experience helped you realise where your interests lie, I think that's a very helpful insight into your future goals and career.

I just wanted to make a quick request to you, which is that in the future you only post your question once, and in the single most appropriate forum. I notice that you've posted the above question in multiple forums, and I really try to discourage that, as it leads to a lot of extra clutter.

Thanks!

Ian

Archived