Premed 101 Forums

What kind of OOP applicant will get an interview?

Guest dopetown

Guest dopetown

Hey gang,

I tried this question before, but got no response.

Can any of your OOPers who got interviews please share your EC's?

I'm pretty sure my GPA and MCAT will make the cuts next round, but I don't know about my EC's. Here's what I will have on my resume in October 2006:

NSERC (4 months in summer 06)

Current personal trainer (1 year)

Current competitive lifeguard (1 year)

Current Canada Day event coordinator (4 years)

Current Standard First Aid instructor (a few months, 2-3 courses)

Current Special Olympics powerlifting coach (8 months)

Current hospital ER volunteer (6 months)

Past campus emergency response team (1 year)

Past pharmacist assistant (4 months)

I know my application will depend on my reference letters and the essay and whatnot. Let's assume those will be totally wicked.

Do I have a good shot at the interview, or am I borderline?

I wouldn't mind going to Dal. It sounds pretty sweet.

Guest scooter

I wouldn't worry too much at all those are some really really great ECs and a lot of them you have stuck with for some time. The important thing is to emphasize them in your letter and interview to show that through them you are better person and you know for sure that you want to be a doctor.

My first time applying I had all the same ECs and when I wasn't accepted MUN said in addition to my MCAT they would like to see more hospital specific stuff. I had some but didn't emphasize it- this time I did and I didn't seem to have any problems :)

ANother way to emphasize is to know one of your references very well so they can comment on your ECs. My supervisor for my 4th Year honours project knew I was into sports and some of the stuff I had done/will do. I never saw the letter but I am guessing he mentioned some non academic stuff since he knew me well.

Guest dopetown

I'm not worried so much about the interview, as much as I am about getting the interview. So you're saying I should emphasize on everything evenly and everything will be coo?

Guest dopetown

No one else cares to ease my curiosity here?

I'm just looking for examples of what gets an interview, and what doesn't in terms of EC's. Assume everything else is wicked.

Guest JewelLeigh

I don't think anyone can say for sure that if OOP Applicant A has X, Y & Z as ECs that he/she will get an interview. However, I think common sense would dictate (based on what the Dal application looks like every year), that if an applicant has a variety of interests & clubs, sustained and valuable volunteer work and health/medically-related experience, he/she will stand a shot at an interview. If Dal had more specific criteria than generally strong and balanced activities from the above categories, I think they would publish them.

So, unfortunately no one is responding for ya, but I bet that anyone who replies with their ECs who successfully obtained an interview, will fit this general mould.

Archived