Premed 101 Forums

Anyone heard since week 1?

Guest HaliEngineer

Guest geekpunk

MrNeuroscience,

I think I agree with what you say. It just makes sense that the most excellent candidates are accepted earlier.

Also, everyone I personally know who has been accepted already (~5-6 people) I think would be considered an excellent candidate (i.e. 4.0+, 30+, numerous NSERCs, outgoing).

And lastly, although there is no specific quota for each Maritime province, the committee "sets targets for each of the Maritime provinces in part determined by the number of applications from each province."

Guest scooter

Hey I'm a NBer and am definately happy about the change. (I am on the wait list at MUN so that list will start to move before May as well).

I think the "clear decision" applies a lot more to the rejection pile than the "acceptance". I think it will mean very few defferals early on and less in general. The perfect GPA and plenty of NSERCs and what not exist, and will be accepted to all their schools. When I made selections for awards (especially involving money) I found the easiest way is to eliminate theworst first, then the decision comes faster and easier). I also think Dal realizes it is best to accept these "Super-Applicants" early on so they will more likely choose Dal. Also there are plenty of people with the bare minimum MCAT (me last year) and not so great GPA (depends on whether they count 2 or 3 years for me:rolleyes ) and no experience. It probably takes far less time to decide these candidates and so they can probably plow through a lot faster -ie the max per meeting. And then it will slow to a snail's pace when they have to start making the tough decisions that involves the majority of the candidates.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Guest Longtimerunnin

Hey Scooter,

Where are you from? SJ? I got waitlisted at Munn too. Everyone I know that got in at Munn (I know 4 people) was waitlisted. So there is hope! Maybe I'll see you there :-)

Good luck with Dal!

Guest Oliver Sacks

Wow, this news about the change in admissions plans has totally floored me! I had no idea 'til now.

So is it fair to assume that NO NB applicants have yet been accepted or rejected or deferred by Dal? If they posted the change on the website on Monday the 13th, then they probably would have had three meetings according to the "old" policy of looking at N.S. first, N.B. second, and so on. So as I understand it, my first chance at having my file reviewed would be next week? What day does the AdCom meet again? Does anyone know any N.B. applicants who have heard something back from Dal yet?

Guest zakiyaa

Hi, Oliver!!

I also was floored over this. Just found out yesterday as well.

As far as I am aware, NO NB applicants have been presented to the AdComm to date. Considering the website was changed this Monday and there are no meetings for this week, I would say that the earliest that N.B. applicants would possibly hear is the week of the 20th to the 24th of March (generally a Friday).

Good luck to one and all! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scooter

Hey guys,

yeah the adcom is still meeting, i'm from nb and got an acceptance on Mon 27th but it must have come on the Friday- so the meeting after march break they were considering NBers. I was one of the first 6 to be interviewed ... I would like to think my decison was obvious but this is my second year applying and I only have a 30S on the MCAT and A- gpa- with decent extracurriculars,,,, so not really the crazy high GPA/MCAT person that i would consider amoungst the "clear decisions" so I reckon they are onto the less "clear"...

I'm soooo excited, i carry around a copy of the letter and show everyone i see .... :rollin

Archived