Premed 101 Forums

Removing Bias in Admission Decisions

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

I was wondering.... How does the admissions committee control for one of the committe members knowing an applicant? For instance, what if a committee member has a daughter/son applying? How they make sure decisions are not biased? Similarly how do they ensure that the interviewers do not know any of their interviewees? During their weekly acceptance/rejection meetings, are our files numbered rather than have our names on them to remove further bias? Don't know if anyone will actually know the answer, but it would be interesting to know.... Thanks!!

Guest Cowboy Mouse

A few of us had a member of the admissions committee as a tutor last year and we asked that question. Basically, that member admits the bias and leaves the room while the discussion takes place and the desicion is made. Halifax being a small town, this happens all the time.

cm

Guest geekpunk

Interesting.

In keeping with adcom discussions post-interview, how do the interviewers remember each and every person? I'm assuming they make some sort of notes/comments after each interviewee leaves the room immediately following the interview. Just wondering since mine weren't writing anything down or anything like that.

Guest DancingDoc

Yea, I wondered that too.... especially if your file isn't discussed within the first few weeks after your interview.

About the bias though, if you are on the adcom and your let's say soon applies, even if you leave the room won't the rest of the adcom be biased knowing it's your son anyway? I guess it's impossible to completely remove bias but still, it sucks for a process this important.

Guest JewelLeigh

Interviewers write comments and recommendations as soon as the interviewee leaves the room. This information is presented to the committee. Interviewers themselves do not discuss the applicant at the admission committee meeting.

Interviewers are instructed to inform administrators if they see that they are scheduled to interview someone they know. A switch is made and thus the problem is solved.

DancingDoc - You are right about it being impossible to remove all bias. Unless you want Dal to become a school that uses a numerical formula for acceptances, then you as an applicant must deal with any biases that exist in a discussion-based admissions process (recognizing that they have been minimized). Also, keep in mind that these biases exist in both directions...perhaps an admission committee would be tougher on a colleague's son, perhaps easier? Either way, the family member or friend is never directly involved in the discussion or decision.

Archived