Premed 101 Forums

Neurosciences at Dalhousie

Guest smileyguy 88

Guest DancingDoc

I love the undergrad neuroscience program at Dal. Professors are really great, in general it's just a great faculty. It's combined with psychology so most course are cross-listed if you want some psych in there. Research opportunities are great (For me, especially because of connections to the medical building, the Tupper, researchers). For instances I am doing my honours thesis with a neurosurgeon to work on stem cells and Parkinson's disease. I know lots of other people in my program with similar experiences. As for grad related, I'm not sure since I'm an undergrad, but similarly you have classes that include many of the 4th year seminar courses, and of what I've experiences of them so far they are really great classes. Similar research opportunities for grads but to an even greater extent. There's also a really active undergrad neuroscience society, which has a really great group of people in it.

Guest geekpunk

Dancing Doc,

We probably know each other, I'm in my 4th year of Neuro at Dal too!

And to the OP, the program here at Dal is great. I definetly have no regrets of choosing Neuro as my major. With all majors at virtually all schools, you'll run into some great teachers and some poor ones, but overall, the program here is great.

Guest MrNeuroscience

Hi 88

First off, choose a school that you would like to be in for the next four years before you choose a program! It doesn't matter if you love your program if you hate the school you are a part of, and can't stand living in the city that school is situated in. As for Dalhousie, it is fairly easy to remain anonymous, because classes are just large enough so that if you don't make yourself known, you won't be known (until upper level classes anyway).

I graduated from Dal last year with an Honours degree in Neuroscience, and I loved it. However, (and I think others will agree with me) any degree is only as good as you make it. I volunteeered with my now-supervisor for two years. I got to know other students really well through EC's and sitting on the Neuro society... without these, my degree wouldn't have been half as fun. The dal neuro faculty is extremely welcoming, and researches a wide variety of topics, so I'm certain you would be able to find a lab you would enjoy being a part of.

From time to time it can be a little frustrating, as mentioned above Neuro is linked very closely with Psych, so you don't get that feeling of being a part of your own Neuro faculty, with your own neuro wing of a building... but thats a rather shallow reason not to enter the program!

Furthermore, I'm fairly certain that Neuro as an undergrad is only offered at a few (maybe 1 or 2) other schools in Canada, so that should cut down on your descision making.

As far as my two cents go: Halifax is great, Dalhousie is great, and I'm happy I did my degree in Neuroscience.

Archived