Premed 101 Forums

Anyone out there with children while attending dal med

Guest jpmac

I would like to talk with anyone out there who has managed to juggle children and med school - preferably while at Dal because Dal is at the top of my list if I am lucky enough to get in! It would also be most advantageous for me to hear from the mothers (no offense guys!) as I think we struggle a bit more with the dilemma/guilt between work, family, and career goals. I would appreciate any advice or insight. Thanks!!!!

Guest Cowboy Mouse

yup, i've got 2. one turns 3 on friday, the other is 7 months. my wife is a resident.

it's doable. basically, med school, resdidency, fellowship, and career are all very demanding. learn how to balance several aspects of your life early on (family, study, hobbies, sports, friends) and you'll be happier.

you can't study ALL the time. our arrangement is that neither of us study until the turkeys are asleep at night (7pm ish). we make dinner together, play, etc. then from about 7:30 onward, we study. so we're each still able to put in at least 4 hours per day of study, not counting weekends. get a sitter once or twice a week so we can have some time alone out of the house, and we're alright.

Guest Mimicat65

Hi jpmac,

I also have kids, though mine are a little older than cowboy's (btw his are VERY cute!!). My situation is a bit different though, but I can fill you in on the balancing issues if you want to send me your email address. Right now we are cramming (some of us more than others) for our block exam, so this may not be the best time to provide commentary on how well things are working :eek in terms of "balancing" kids and medschool. By next week we will all have calmed down and reaquainted ourselves with our kids and likely be much more positive about the whole thing.:\

Take care

Thanks a lot mimicat and cowboy for your input! I personally do not have great doubt that I can manage both school and family - it is just unbelievable what everyone around me has to say about it! Eventually you start to convince yourself that you are crazy and selfish :eek . Mimicat - I hate to sound ignorant, but I am new to this forum thing and I was wondering if I just post my email as a reply or if there is another way to send it to you. Thank you for your willingness to give me some advice.... I look forward to hearing from you.

The 2nd years have their exam today so I figured I'd reply. I believe you need to go into "My Control Center" - a link at the top of the page. From there, you should see a category to "Send a Message". This way you can send an email to mimicat that only she can see.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm new, and hoping to get in to Dal this application round! As a mom, I was wondering what those of you with children not in school do for childcare? is there support on campus? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Guest Cowboy Mouse

hi fizio,

i've got 2 young kids - a 3 year old and a 9 month old, and I'm a med 2. Basically, good infant care in Halifax is a problem. there are full-time spots, but they are extremly hard to come by. As of 18 months, the numbers for spots open up.

My wife is a PGY-3, currently on mat leave until early in the new year. So my advice to you is this - put on a good pair of walking shoes, and walk around the South End on a daycare tour. Set appointments with the various directors, and leave your name on ALL the wait lists. If you're lucky, a spot will open up somewhere by the time school starts up. With both our boys, that's how it ended up.

Remember, there are absolutely excellent infant care programs in out area, just not enough of them. As you see the various programs, you'll make up your own mind as to which you would leave your child with, and to which you wouldn't entrust your mongrel mutt.

hope this helps.

CM

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check it out...that is of course, when I hopefully hear this week about interview times! Keep your fingers crossed!

cheers

fizio

Guest Mimicat65

Hey fizio,

Mine are all in school this year, but in Med1 my youngest was still at home. We used a combo of in-home care and pre-school. Since my other kids needed care after school, we had a nanny come in for afternoons to look after my youngest, pick kids up from school, do the laundry, start supper, etc. This made life MUCH more manageable! My 4-year-old went out to pre-school several mornings/week, and went to an in-home daycare (family friend) for the other mornings. It was a good mix for her and worked out quite well.

Having kids in school provides a whole new dimension of uncertainty though, b/c there are unplanned school closures due to weather and power outages, as well as the scheduled inservice days and early dismissal days. I actually find it harder to manage care when they are all in school b/c we don't have our nanny available every day. My kids have had to hang out at my husband's office twice this semester already (due to lack of caregiver availability), and we haven't even hit full-on winter storm season yet. :o

Good luck in your interview, Mimi

thanks again, it's great to hear how different situations are handled. Mine would be starting school, and my husband would also be in school. I would be a big move for the three of us! We are a bit fortunate as we do have a relative in Halifax who is a day care director. Hopefully we will be able to get a connection with her! (for after school and early dismissal!)

Hopefully hearing friday for interviews!

fizio

Archived