Premed 101 Forums

Cut off point

Guest kaylen

Well, it may be a bit early to tell since we are all receiving our accepted/rejected letters, but does anyone have an inkling as to whether they lowered the cut off point this year? Also, if you are granted an interview, do you end up finding out beforehand what your application score is, so you know what you may need to score on your interview to have a realistic shot?

Thanks!

Kaylen

Guest soapyslicer

It remains fairly constant year to year - 33/50. It does go up or down a point but not much more than that. I believe it is based on the scores of the applicant pool and the desire to interview approx 2.5x the applicants as there are seats. The only time you can find out your mark out of 50 is post rejection interview. Students who are lucky enough to be accepted do not find out. At your post-rejection interview you will get a sheet that tells you both you non-academic /25 and academic marks /25. If you were interviewed and rejected, you will also get a breakdown of how you did on the interview and what you need to work on.

I think this year the rumour is that we have more applicants but ultimately you will get a spread of marks and experiences like every other year and likely the cutoff will not change much. Of course we won't know until it is all over.....

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Kaylen,

Just to add to soapy's post, (and in case you're interested in this statistic too), the out-of-province cut-off over the past few years has hovered at 40-41 out of 50.

Apparently all those whose score is 0.5 of a point from the cut-off (in- and out-of-province) undergo a second file review.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

I think this is what happened.

People who have scores above the tentative cut off get an automatic invite. Thus the mass mailings last Friday.

The office is probably reviewing applications that are 0.5 below the cut off right now to see if they can interview more.

That's why, the interview invites now will slow to a trickle, compared to the mass exodus on Friday.

Guest canstowski

Just wanna give you guys an interesting note. The Adcom deducted 1 full pt from my last year's application b/c it was too messy and disorganized :x

I was put on waitlist last year but didn't get activated. I always wondered, how important was that 1 pt??

Hope u guys don't make the same mistake |I

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Similar to you, canstowski, I had 0.5 of a point deducted from my application a couple of years ago for messiness. Although my writing was neat (albeit small!), when the application was photocopied for review, it was very difficult to read. I learned the lesson and in the years following the forms were completed electronically.

I reckon that's one of the beauties of the electronic application versus the paper version--you're much less likely to make a mess of it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest not rex morgan

wow. I'd never had the messy comment made, but I'm surprised it wasn't. I wonder if it was just never mentioned, but deducted anyways. My neat handwriting would be considered messy by most, and I'm too computer-illiterate to work out a method to print out my extracurriculars into their little boxes. I wonder if I would be graduated by now if I had only printed out my application. Canstowski, where were you five years ago when I first applied? :b

Guest canstowski

Haha....yet, nobody on the board told me that too when i made the mistake last year....

5 years ago? i think i was studying hard for my grade 12 provincials! :rollin

Archived