Premed 101 Forums

Allocation to the three medical school sites

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

While reading the UBC Admissions FAQ page I came across something interesting, as follows:

Q. What determines the offer to a site?

A. The accepted student’s site choice is given priority, unless the available positions at that site have been filled before the applicant is discussed, in which case he/she would be wait-listed for the preferred site (or sites, should the student be offered his/her third choice).

That seems like a little bit of a potentially unfair point. I wonder how the Admissions Committee determines, then, which applications are reviewed first. :rolleyes Then again, perhaps the logistics of this part of the selection process remain to be ironed out.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

I was told during my post rejection meeting that they start at the top score out of 50 pre interview and go down the list. I had asked the question because I had scored so high on my interview but did not get in. I was told that i could have scored in the 99%ile and would still not have gotten in as had such a low score out of 50. It was apparently enough to be interviewed but that is all. I asked the question about why did they even interview me then! The answer was that I was given special consideration despite being below the cutoff out of 50 for an interview but that consideration really did not follow me through to post interview consideration. I think this was the point in which the decision was made to change the sc procedure. It either follows you through now or you don't get it at all.

If you want to meet in March let me know.

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there soapy,

I think this was the point in which the decision was made to change the sc procedure. It either follows you through now or you don't get it at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here. What may follow you and what may you not get? (Not enough latte today. :( )

If you want to meet in March let me know.

That would be great. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest northernjo

I think he means the special consideration is either given to you for both the interview selection and admissions selection, or not at all. It does seem pointless to give somone special consideration for the interview if it means you still don't have a chance to get in. That must have been frustrating soapy!

northernjo

Guest soapyslicer

Kirsteen,

When I received Special Consideration I was told(after rejection) that my SC was to get me an interview. However no SC would be given to me when evaluating me by the committee. So basically they gave me an interview despite being 3 points below the interview cutoff, then rejected me because I was so low on the list. I scored very well in the interview but was told I could have scored in the 99%ile and I would still not have been given a seat as by the time they got to the lower numbers ie. 30/50 all the seats were taken. As a result of my asking for an appeal and making a case for the absurdity of the situation the process was changed and I was told that last year the only people who got SC had significant circumstances like I did in my undergrad and scored one below the cutoff - as well their SC followed them through the process. Great for them but didn't do me much good. Having said all of that, things have changed again. Who knows what it will be like this year. Just happy to be given an interview despite not getting SC.

Soapy

Guest soapyslicer

Kirsteen,

Thanks and the same to you!! Will look forward to finally meeting you. Still spend time with others I met last year who made the final cut. Once we know the final schedule I will email you.

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Sounds brilliant, and I look forward to it. Perhaps we'll end up interviewing on the same day. I'm hoping to snag an interview on the Friday--fingers crossed--but I guess we'll all find out this week. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived