Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interviews

Guest driedcaribou

Guest driedcaribou

This is kind of moot point for me because I'm at the University of Sydney right now but I'm just curious... did anyone hear anything from UBC yet?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It doesn't appear that too many folks around here have received too much at this point, (else, they're doing a great job of canning a lot of potential excitement :) ). UBC Admissions noted that they'd probably begin sending interview invitations to out-of-province applicants during the last week of January, i.e., next week. Hopefully the UBC threads will heat up with some activity and good news then.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I talked to admissions about something unrelated last week, and was told the first week of Feb is when notification would be sent. I'm in province though, not sure if it matters.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yep, apparently geography does matter in this case as Admissions mentioned that they're going to be sending invitations to out-of-province interviewees first. They're taking the grand approach that folks outside of BC need a little extra time to make relatively cheap travel arrangements. Thus, the stories seem to dovetail nicely as invitations to out-of-province interviewees are supposed to appear next week, the week prior to the first week of February when in-province interviewees should be hearing some good news. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Good idea; let me second that: good luck to everyone in the next couple of weeks. May your e-mail boxes deliver some great news. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AnxiousBoy

I'm BC resident but I go to school OOP. I haven't gotten any emails. Does that mean I'm finished? This is so unfair; my spring break starts on March 6th and if I don't make any plans soon, I'm screwed both ways.

Building on the anxiety....

Guest canstowski

Anxious Boy,

One thing i've learned from these applications is that the adcom could careless about you or any applicants. Fairness is not applicable here, sorta. I can see their frustrations though having 1300+ applicants and all. It would seem hard to treat each and everyone fairly knowing that everyone's definition of "fair" are different. Hang in there, we are all on the same c-r-a-p-p-y boat =P

Guest AnxiousBoy

I just feel that the admissions office could have informed us eariler. Afterall, their application deadline was much eariler than its peer institutions. They want referee letters by March 1st and I don't know if I can do that if I am selected. I feel it is customary to give the person 3 weeks to write it up for you and it takes 1 week to mail from my location. Oh well.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there AnxiousBoy,

Where did you hear/read that the three reference letters would be due on March 1st? That date being the case, I'd bet that UBC might offer a little flexibility with respect to having the letters submitted. In any case, it might be an idea for any current UBC applicant to give their three letter writers a little notification now (if not already) in the event that a good UBC e-mail does pop into the e-mailbox in the next wee while. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

I'm getting pretty anxious. I bet you that they don't send out the email today though. It'll probably come out some time in the middle of next week. (Note: this is just my prediction)

Guest AnxiousBoy

I could of sworn that the UBC FAQ section said March 1st a couple of days ago when I last checked. Now it says March 15th. I guess they're not done with the selection process because it also said 550 interviewees before but now it says 500. I guess the wait continues...

Guest Phil667

I applied to UBC last year. And based on my experiences they have a lag time of about 2 weeks. If they say that they are sending something out on May 1 they would get around to it on May 15th, etc. So my prediction is that the invites will come late next week.

Phil

(PS, I'm not trying to bash how they handle things at UBC. I understand that they are busy with other things considering they are starting up 2 new med schools and they are revamping the interview style this year)

Hey Canstowski,

Why won't they let you change your referee? The reason I'm asking is that my referee disappeared about 4 months ago and is nowhere to be found. It was a pain in the ass because I had to change my referee for all of the other schools I applied to....What am I going to go....

Archived