Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2007 demographics

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I cannot recall if the ratio was reported during the recent University of Ottawa presentations at the HBSU Medical School Symposium. Even if not, could a current class of 2007 student possibly dig up the ratio of female to male students for the class of 2007? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Tanya24,

Thanks very much for that. :) Now if I could only get the 2007 numbers for UofT, McGill, U. de Montreal, Sherbrooke and Dalhousie... Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Hey Kirsteen,

I don't have the official numbers for the 2007 class at McGill... but i've heard it also is following the growing trend and is in the order of 62-68% Female and 32-38% Male.

What I found shocking is that my class.... 2006, was 51% Male and 49% Female... wonder why the jump so quickly?!

Medicator

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there medicator007,

You're absolutely correct. The McGill folks confirmed today that, for the 2007 class, 62% of entrants were women.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Thanks for the confirmation Kirsteen, i knew it was something in that Ballpark.

I find it interesting though that it took such a jump in that one year. Going from 49% female in my class to 62% female in the year after... Was there a similar shift in application ratios? Are there some other factors at work here? Who knows.. but it certainly is an interesting trend at the very least.

Medicator

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

Yes, some schools (especially those for which I have data in Quebec) have some high, McMaster-like female to male ratios. I'm not sure why the spike occurred last year, or whether, in fact, it is a spike, i.e., whether the numbers will drop back down this year. It's an interesting question since the rise does seem to be statistically significant. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

As for the other Quebec schools, i seem to recall that they have had Mac like ratios for a little while now... but i remember being rather surprised at McGill's jump when i found out the numbers for the class of 2007.... Interesting none the less.

Medicator

• 2 years later...

Archived