Premed 101 Forums

clerkship

Guest satsumargirl

Guest satsumargirl

Reading some of the posts of how clerkship is done at other schools I was wondering if any current U of O students could shed some light on how things are done at Ottawa?

Some students explain that with their programs as clerks they are "first-call" but other students say that at their programs they aren't. Each has it's pros and cons I suppose. One con being that if you aren't first call and it is busy the resident may forget to call you (or so the post said) and a pro being that possibly the resident may "weed" out the not so interesting cases and so you get to see more the more interesting ones.

Obviously a pro of being first call as a clerk would be the responsibility and perhaps feeling more prepared for residency.

So how is clerkship at U of O? (how do francophone and anglophone programs differ?)

Thanks

Sats

Guest cmitchelca

I'm not in med school at Ottawa U (hopefully soon!!) but I know from working in the call centre at the Ottawa hospital (we're the ones that page all the doctors) that it depends on what you're doing your clerkship in at the time and what shift you're doing. For general medicine, the med student is ALWAYS first call. For general surgery, it's always the resident who's first call and then they usually call the students. I can only think of really gen med where the student is first call. For almost all other specialties, the junior resident is first call, followed by the senior and then staff if needed.

Archived