Premed 101 Forums

Where are all the residency spots?

Guest dddd

Are the only residencies outside of the lower mainland in Family Medicine? Or are there other specialties in Prince George etc? It would be difficult to settle in Victoria or PG for school, but have to move back here for a residency, then back again to set up a practice.....

Guest not rex morgan

I'm not sure about ALL the spots, but I know Chiliwack has quite a reputable program. It's also quite competitive to match to. I went to their grad party with my rural practice preceptor this summer. The people in the program seemed to be alot of fun.

Guest Ian Wong

Here's a list of all the UBC residencies for CaRMS 2004, including descriptions of all the Family Medicine spots.

Residency spots are available in: Vancouver, Victoria, Prince George, Chiliwack, and there's a rural-based one which takes you to various BC towns at regular intervals (lots of traveling around).

Ian

Guest Ian Wong

I forgot to include the link in the above message. Here it is:

www.carms.ca/programdir/univ_index.htm#ubc

I think most other, if not all other residency programs are based out of Vancouver, although there may be options to do electives in smaller centers. Also, for residencies which require one "general" year of residency (ie. Radiology, Ob/GYN, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, and probably others), you can apply to do that year in Victoria, but the remaining four years need to be done in Vancouver (with the exception of any away electives).

Ian

Archived