Premed 101 Forums

advice on MCAT

Guest iddle

Having just gotten my MCAT score, I now need to decide if I should re-write. This was my first MCAT and to be honest, I did better than I thought given my minimal prep time. What I want to know is how important is it to try to improve my score.

I got a 27O: VR 10, PS 8, BS 9, it’s the O that I’m worried about mostly. :\

I have nothing to prove academically with the MCAT as my grades are quite good. Also, I’d have to write in April, which would add a semester to my degree (finishing April 05 instead of Dec 04). I know I can’t write in August again as my summer work gives my absolutely no free time to prepare, as was the problem this year. Any advice from those who have been through this before?

Thanks!

Guest monksters

Hi there,

Whether you decide to re-write is completely up to you. I know that in the past the MCAT has only been used as a flag for the most part. I know a couple of people who scored around the same as you and did get in, so there must be many other factors that are as or more important as the MCAT. But I cannot say for sure that getting a wicked score won't make a difference. It all depends where you want to demonstrate your strengths. Good luck in whatever decision you choose.

Guest premed81

Hi there,

I also just got my MCAT scores and they are pretty bad.....low twenties, but my writing sample was really awesome (T). Anyhow, my other pressing concern is that I'm an OOP applicant with this "amazing" score (sarcasm) and I've already submitted my application and paid the fee. I do feel my application was really good.....how much will the MCAT score affect me?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In previous years, the MCAT score did not have significant weight in the UBC admissions process. That's the good news. The bad news is that the admissions process seems to be changing a little this year and it may be the case that the MCAT may be worth a little more. In any event, if your application is in, as are your MCAT scores, then not much can change either. Keep optimistic and hope for the best. :)

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived