Premed 101 Forums

Who's definitely coming in September???

Guest Gordo58

Guest Gordo58

Hey,

I just wanted to start this thread to get some idea on the people who will be joining the class of 2008! I know im in, who else is gonna join me?

Gord

Guest westerngirl2004

Gord

I'm definitely gonna be joining u in the class of 2008 !! :rollin

I can't wait to meet everyone :)

westergirl

Guest westerngirl2004

I was looking to see if I could book an appointment with the financial aid officer, and came across this site:

/web1.uottawa.ca/uopr/reg...in_en.aspx

Scroll down the name section, and you'll see a bunch of names. Are these people going to be in class of 2008? (Given I got in off the waitlist, my name is not there yet.)

westerngirl2004

Guest Burnutz

Hi!

I am a Virginia resident finishing up a graduate degree in the UK and have accepted my offer at Ottawa.

However I might defer my acceptance until next year in order to finish up my graduate degree (I will know after July 2).

Anyone looking for a roommate?

I'm interested in living in the Sandy Hill area...

I'll be able to confirm by the first week of July.

In any case-

Hope to see you all in September!

:smokin

Dan

Guest SwissMel

I'll be joining you in the fall! :) I'm looking for a few other first year med school students to share accomodations. I'd like to live within walking distance to the campus, but would also consider living downtown. I'm from Ajax and will be driving to Ottawa to look for a place this month. Hopefully we can get everything arranged before the end of July because I'm visiting family in Europe in August. Anyone interested please email me at mktoman@hotmail.com.

FrenchyMed I'm in the french class too. Is french your first language? It's my second.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Melanie

Guest FrenchyMed

Welcome aboard Melanie!

I'm a Francophone but I'm also 100% bilingual. I'm from the Ottawa area so I speak English almost as often as French.

I'm debating whether or not to move. I'll probably hold off for a while and see how things go.

I'm also heading to Europe in August to visit my parents and some friends. I'll be in Paris. What about you?

FM

Guest SwissMel

I'll be in Geneva, and then I think we are renting a place in the south of France. I'll have to look up the name of the city... When do you leave?

Guest summerbeach

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd say I'm coming to Ottawa as well, it will be a nice change as I've been at Western for two degrees! I look forward to meeting everyone!

Guest westerngirl2004

hi summerbeach,

I look forward to meeting you in the fall. I'm from western too (there'll be a few of us there from london as it seems).

cheers,

westerngirl :)

I had completely given up getting a call before July 2, and had started looking for a place in London, but I got a phone call today! :rollin I've accepted, and I can't wait to meet everyone in September

Guest SteveyBee

Hey Mel and FM!

I'm also starting in the French program this September.

French is my first language, but all of my "science" schooling has been in English.

I'm driving to Ottawa this weekend to find an apartment. Like others, I'll probably end up getting a 1-bedroom in an apartment complex close to the school this year. I've found a few that are very close, with prices ranging from $600-800 inclusive. I used mapquest to find out where they were in relation to the school. If anyone would like contact numbers/addresses for these buildings, I'd be more than happy to pass them along.

Congrats to everyone that got in & have a restful summer (hopefully it'll warm up soon. Sauble Beach was freeeezing last weekend!)

Steve ;)

Guest SwissMel

Hey Steve,

It would be great if you don't mind passing along the info you've found on apartments near the school. I'll be driving down on Tuesday/Wednesday to look for a place.

Look forward to meeting you,

Mel

Guest hacker

Hi Mel,

I've been to Ottawa the last two days. I checked out 4 places. They were 2 townhouses close to the medical school and 1 apartment in downtown. Also I checked out 190 Lees which people say is the best apartment apt building on Lees (170 Lees is full of cockroaches I heard :o) Here are my thoughts

190 Lees: I think this is an awesome place to live. What impressed me about this building is the small recreational club they have in one of the levels. They have 2 international squash courts !, tennis courts, swimming pool and fitness/weights room. The apartments vary in size. They are expensive to rent except if you have a room mate. In this case the rent would be ~500 for each room in the 2 bdroom apt. I was told that if you are really interested in an apartment, the manager could bring down the price more.

Downtown: Not for me. Its a 15-20 minutes bus ride to the school and the apartments in there are obviously more expensive to rent. Not many med students live in downtown, thats what I heard at the financial aid office.

Finally I checked two of the townhouses close to the school. Those houses are 7-8 minute walk to school. I think the avg price for a room in this area is ~500 (including everything) . The houses I checked were newly built. One landlord told me she is renting it to med students because they spend most of their time in the medical school and dont have enough time to mess up the house :b but this area is very quiet most of the year and has families/healthcare professionals living in. After my visit to Ottawa, I decided I am living in this area.

The accomodation listing, provided by the school, was very useful. Thanks to all those who contributed to it !

See u all soon,

H

Guest FrenchyMed

I'm getting a little worried because I accepted Ottawa's offer on June 20th and my name still does not appear on that list...

I guess I'd better call Nicole Racine to find out what's going on!

Archived