Premed 101 Forums

Who's definitely coming in September???

Guest Gordo58

Guest westerngirl2004

FrenchyMed,

I accepted Ottawa's offer on June 15th and my name just appeared on that list today. I think they have to make sure your file is complete (i.e. check omsas for transcript) then send your info to admission office. You should email Nicole, and maybe omsas too. see ya in the fall :)

cheers,

westerngirl

Guest SteveyBee

Hey Mel,

Sorry for the tardiness of this message, I just got back from Ottawa tonight after apartment hunting/meeting with financial aid/getting a line of credit. I know you're going to be visiting tomorrow/wednesday, but *just in case* you catch this on time (or if someone else is wondering), here are the apartments that I looked at/considered (they're all apartment buildings). Also, unless you're living with someone else or your housing is partly subsidized, they're all more pricey than what hacker noted for the townhouses close to the school (they sound like great deals!). Ok, here's the list:

1140/1150 Fisher Ave.

(613) 729-7711 - ask for Kathleen or Danielle

Bright, roomy apartments, but a bit far from campus. Utilities are included, however if you want A/C you have to provide your own unit and pay $100/summer for the increased hydro use. Rooms were larger than others that were priced identically. Kathleen offered me a very large 1 bedroom with a nice patio for $770/month, with the first two months free (July/August, so not much use). I'm sure it's possible to get to the school by bus from here, but it seems rather indirect. It's also in a very *bare* area next to an experimental field, so there isn't much in terms of a neighborhood. Not having a car, I chose to overlook this one.

1701 Kilborn Ave.

(613) 737-0721 - ask for Zipi

I ended up taking a 1-bedroom here, they have an indoor pool, sauna, tennis court; utilities included; rooms are fairly spacious and have terraces (like balconies, but less exposed); the air conditioning is centrally-controlled, but the rooms felt cool despite the 29 degree weather outside. I walked to the faculty of medicine in just under 20 minutes. There is also a bus stop right in front that goes to Alta Vista, then 1 connection to downtown. Rent is a bit high, from $730-$950/month for 1 bedroom, prices ranging with the room size; as a bonus they give you the choice of a chest freezer, microwave, or TV to keep (sounds like an Ultramatic commercial, doesn't it?) The landlady was helpful and pleasant, and the building seems very well-kept. There are actually 2 towers, both have a high percentage of seniors/professionals (the back tower has 70% seniors - I talked to a graduating nursing student that lives there and she said she was *extremely* satisfied).

1170 Fisher Ave.

(613) 728-1260 - ask for Sandra

Once I decided that Fisher Ave. was too far, I chose not to visit this building, however, it seems almost identical to the neighboring 1140/1150, and rent is a bit cheaper. They advertised a 1-bedroom for $580 inclusive, they have a pool & rooms have balconies.

830 Canterbury Ave.

(613) 733-4077

I also didn't visit these buildings, but I was told that they are very nicely kept, quiet, and worth consideration. It looks to be a 30 minute walk to the med. school. The apartments were $670 (bachelor) and $750 (1 bedroom, 550 sq. ft.) inclusive. They have a website.

The *Less Than Impressed* List

1971 St. Laurent

(613) 733-9135 - ask for Gayle

This building is right at the St. Laurent/Smyth intersection, so very close to stores/groceries up St. Laurent and at the mall across the road, and right on a major bus route that goes right to the Uni. 1 bedrooms run $699/month inclusive, but I found them small. The ones I saw didn't have balconies, were carpeted, and smelled strongly of cigarettes. While I was there, I noticed a LOT of kids running around the halls (it was a Saturday afternoon though), and very heavy traffic through the lobby. The super told us that the building is very busy and that there are frequent complaints about noise (nice of him to let us know that!)

2383 Palm St.

I won't even give contact info for this one. They were asking $725 for what was really a hole in the wall, no A/C (no cross-current either), no balconies, bad smells, paint chipping off the walls, and a bad location. They also don't allow bicycles in the building (I saw a few sorry-looking bikes chained to a rail outside). Add that to 1 washing machine per 20 rooms, and I had seen enough! :o

Guest FrenchyMed

Well, I counted about 120 names on the list, mine included (I now feel like this is for real...).

Good luck to those still waiting to hear, it looks like there are a few spots left!

How many students will be accepted? I seem to recall aroung 100 in the English class and 40 in the French. Is that right?

I can't wait to meet everyone!

FM

Guest westerngirl2004

FrenchyMed,

As I recall, Ottawa accepts 123 students (~40 in French class and rest in English). I'm looking forward to meeting you in the fall! ;)

Cheers,

westerngirl

Guest Watermelanie

Add 5 to the 123 class size they told you about during the admissions process. Ottawa takes in 5 military officers each year on top of the normal class. Our names are on the Financial Aid list- though they shouldn't be because the government funds us in return for selling our souls to them for 5 more years of service.

Archived