Premed 101 Forums

Budget info

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

So, I'm trying to set-up a preliminary budget for the school year.

I've read that tuition is $14,552.19. :eek

Does that include the $3,500 for the laptop?

I also know that we have to pay $140 for course notes.

What about books and accessories (stethoscope, etc.)?

Can a current Ottawa med student give me an idea of how much I can expect to spend in books etc. in 1st year?

Guest Tanya24

Lamentably, the 14,552 does NOT include the laptop! In total, I paid 17,500 for 1st year tuition/laptop. Stethoscopes are mandatory; the reps will visit you in the fall. Mine costed about $160. Lab coat is mandatory; $25 at our bookstore. Other equipment was optional (and not really necessary at this stage of the game). Textbooks are variable. Since I had little to no background in medicine, I bought one textbook per block. Average price per book was $75-100. PLUS, I bought the clinical skills book for $110 (your physician skills development course wil be taught out of this book; good investment.) Finally, I bought Robbin's Pathology. Good for every block. It was about $160. Some of my class bought Harrison's Internal Medicine (also good for every block). It's about $200.

HOWEVER...some of my classmates bought no books and did quite well. Most of what you're expected to know is well covered in the class notes. I just used textbooks to add to the depth of my knowledge.

So....in total you can expect to spend about $700-900 on textbooks. The good news is you can resell them next year!

Don't worry about buying textbooks until class starts -- the 2nd year students usually provide you with tips about which books are useful and which are not. And of course, don't hesitate to ask us :) We are happy to share the wisdom!!

Archived