Underserviced area admission?

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448720</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

Guest turtle

wassabi

oh yeah, that's cool...just come on in. (as long as you don't eat our food 'cause we've only ordered enough for people who are registered!).

"opening remarks" are at 8:55am (if you're there so bright & early on a saturday :\ ), George Wells is speaking at 10 (something to do with Population Health) and John Last is speaking at 1 (on the history of & future directions for epidemiology). Student presentations are from 9-10, 2-3, and 3:15-5:15 (assuming we stay on schedule!) and the poster session is from 11-12 in the lobby outside the amphitheatres.

As for who's coming from McGill...actually only one person who's technically registered at Dalhousie, but is living and doing her research with some people from McGill. I think her initials are AS (if that means anything at all to you!).

feel free to seek me out...haven't quite decided what i'll be wearing yet, but i'll be the one doing opening remarks, introducing speakers, etc. and will be wearing the nametag that says "Yelena" (oh no, now the whole board knows my real name! :P )

turtle

Guest byjude

Does anyone know anything about the underserviced area residency that Ottawa uses in establishing cutoffs?

What sort of WGPA cutoff applies to this group? I think I'd heard a few years ago it was something like 3.5 - is that still pretty accurate?

Also, how does a region achieve "underserviced" status? I know I'd read recently that my hometown mayor was trying to request this status to qualify for preferred recruitment of new doctors. So there obviously must be some official body that makes a declaration? Does anyone know how long such a declaration is effective? (ie, is it based on numbers, or is it a status that is re-evaluated annually??)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Archived