Premed 101 Forums

Cash date for student loans

Guest Ollie

Guest Ollie

Hi,

So I am all approved for my BCSAP at the max funding level ($10,725, wow thanks for barely covering half my tuition).

Here's the situation: I'm going to UofT where all $17K+ in tuition is due during the first term. BCSAP loans are distributed ~ half in Sept and half in Jan. This wasn't a problem at UBC cause half our tuition was paid in Sept and the rest in Jan. I was wondering if OSAP gives you the whole loan at once, or splits it like BCSAP. The problem is with not getting it all at once, I'll have to dip quite significantly into the LOC and accrue all that interest until I get the second half of the loan in Jan. Have any BC residents at school OOP been able to get all the loan right away? I'd like to know if this has been done before I call them and harrass them about it!

Thanks!

Guest nextstopmd

Hey Ollie,

As far as I can tell, borrowing the extra 5362.50 four months early will cost you about 70 bucks more (in the first year) than it would if you didn't have to borrow that money four months later. So it's not *totally* awful, but I'm interested to see if you have any success trying to persuade BCSAP to get all the money at once. Those of us getting OSAP are in almost the same situation.

Best of luck!

Guest aneliz

Those of us getting OSAP are in the same boat...

Max OSAP is $11 000 (almost the same as you got from BC) and OSAP distributes 60% in Sept and the remaining 40% in January.

I don't know if UofT will allow you to split your payment or not... but UWO will allow us to pay 60% of our tuition in Sept and 40% in January (same as our OSAP)... while this is not a huge deal (given that OSAP only covers a little more than half our tuition!), it is a bit cheaper. The 'admin' fee to split your tuition at UWO was only 50 bucks... which is $20 less than the 4 months of interest would be.

Check with UofT to see if they will do this kind of thing...

• 1 year later...

Archived