Premed 101 Forums

Help!!! Positive Mantoux test!

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

These are the possible side-effects of isoniazid:

Peripheral neuropathy is the most common side effect. Signs and symptoms of peripheral neuropathy are numbness, tingling, or an unusual sensation such as burning or prickling on the skin. Hepatitis is the most dangerous. Severe reactions may occur if you eat foods containing high concentrations of tyramine such as aged cheeses, avocados, bananas, beer, caffeinated beverages, chocolate, sausages, liver, overripe fruit, red wine, smoked or pickled fish, yeasts, and yogurt. :eek

I wonder what they mean by high concentrations... Can you ever eat too much chocolate??? ;)

I'm debating whether or not to take the meds (I'm not sure I have a choice though).

Risking liver damage to prevent a disease I may never have... :rolleyes

Guest gucio93

What do you mean you don't have a choice? The point is you do have a choice. The meds are recommended (perhaps very strongly by some MDs), but they are not required. You can hardly be prevented from participating in patient care without having any indication of being infectious - and lack of symptoms and a negative CXR are proof of this. Perhaps if the treatment was curative it would be a different story, however, it is not and since you are not putting patients at risk by not taking it you can hardly be forced to put yourself "at risk" of the side effects if you are not willing to do so ... do your own research and make your own decision.

• 1 year later...

Archived