Premed 101 Forums

Comfortable dressy shoes

Guest Edwarder

Guest Edwarder

Last night I had a dream that it was the first day of med school and I was wearing scruffy running shoes that I use in the garden. The med school orientation leader stopped in front of me and asked if I intended to wear them all year!

Could anyne suggest some dressy shoes that don't leave your feet in agony after a couple of hours?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

From the propaganda that I've seen of theirs of late, Hush Puppies may have entered the comfy-but-classy niche. There appear to be a couple of candidates on their website:

www.hushpuppies.com

Another company whose shoes supposedly fit this bill is Mephisto. They used to have a shop in the Yorkville area here in Toronto, but they may have moved since Yorkville's been turned on its ear of late. From what I've heard their shoes are ultra-comfortable, but you have to pay for that comfort by opening your wallet wide. :) Have a look at the offerings on their website:

www.mephisto.com

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest FrenchyMed

Aerosoles are also good.

They used to only make those white "hospital-type" running shoes most nurses seem to wear. They now make more fashionable shoes that are super comfy.

I bought a pair of high-heeled strappy sandals for a wedding and wore them for over 12 hours and I was still able to walk and dance at 3 a.m.!

Guest oO0chickpea0Oo

Also, you could always check out Aldo...I've bought a lot of comfy dressy shoes from there, not too expensive, and very trendy (although I know that's not the number one concern here :) ), and lately all the shoes they've been making have been flat soles, no heels or platforms, so that should add to the conmfort. You know, a good pair of Dr.Scholl's Gel Insoles will make any pair of shoes you own really comfy also (it worked for me!)...and for only about $20 at Shopper's Drug Mart :)

~pea~

Guest JSS02

I agree with the suggestions above, but just remember that you don't need to dress up nicely for lectures, at least at most med schools I'm aware of... generally just when you go and see patients. So for class you can wear your scruffy running shoes and nobody's going to care...

Guest ManitobaMed

As someone who feels there's no excuse for ugly shoes in any situation and who can't afford to shell out the moolah for Mephisto or most Hush Puppies, I'll put in a second vote for Aldo -- particularly Aldo shoes purchased *on sale*. My main ward shoes came from Aldo, and I've had no problems with them. There are also some decent running shoe/dress shoe hybrids out there in various stores that you won't likely catch any flack for.

• 1 year later...

Archived