Premed 101 Forums

Immunizations(?) / Flu Shot(?)

Guest medwant2b

Guest medwant2b

I know there are a bunch of immunizations you have to get (or alternatively show that you're immune).

Do people usually get more than the minimum?

Hepatitis A any one?

The risk doesn't seem to be that big (www.niddk.nih.gov/health/...hepa-e.htm )... but there is a vaccine. Is it worth it?

Has any sort of consensus developed with regard to flu shots? (I remember there was a fight in Ontario about paramedics having to get them.)

Are there medical schools that encourage their students to get it?

Is the flu shot worthwhile to get for the sake of your patients?

Not sure if this is true... but I remember hearing somewhere that if you don't have the flu shot and are healthy you may feel fine but be contagious with the flu (and give it to someone not so healthy-- a bad thing) whilst your body fights it off.

I hope that isn't too many questions all at once.

An incoming med student.

Final thought:

"Did you get your flu shot?" might be an interesting poll...

Guest Ian Wong

Hep A is a self-limited disease, so if you get it, your body usually clears it out within a few weeks. It doesn't set in like Hep B or Hep C, which are chronic infections that can slowly eat your liver or give you hepatic carcinoma. It wasn't required at UBC, and I don't think most of us got it.

Given that it's usually transmitted fecal-orally, and most people aren't carrying it in their bloodstream, the chances of you getting Hep A from a needlestick injury is pretty low. It's Hep B, Hep C, and HIV that are the real biggies.

As far as flu shots go, UBC medicine highly recommends it, and at each hospital you will be offered a free flu shot. It is not mandatory. I believe most other centers are like this as well; I got last year's flu shot at Sick Kids in Toronto while I was there on electives. We got pounded on the safety of vaccinations what with all the "autism" stuff, and my personal belief, which isn't worth all that much, is that most of those negative studies were based on extremely @#%$ science, small patient numbers, etc. Vaccination is one of huge successes of modern medicine, and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that your gain from getting a vaccination is miles ahead of the potential side effects, and very little (and low quality) evidence to the contrary.

I think the argument that you might "contract" the virus and then pass it on to an elderly patient (they are at higher risk for influenza infection complications) to be, well, not so strong. After all, it is these patients that we are trying to immunize because they are most at risk! :) Also, the influenza vaccine uses a killed virus, so there shouldn't be any active virus remaining (and if there was, it will likely be attenuated or of a small enough number that your body can effectively deal with it and develop immunity).

Still, vaccination is a personal choice, and you've got to weigh the evidence and decide for yourself.

Ian

• 1 year later...
Guest hacker

Has any1 been immunized outside Canada? I had all my immunizations done outside Canada and It looks like I can't provide a proof of that ,it would just take forever. No way I want to start taking 100 shots all over again :eek Can a blood test be used to prove I have the basic immunization??

Cheers,

H

Guest Steve U of T

I work at Toronto General Hospital, and although I have been immunized in Canada, providing detailed records is not sufficient for them. They took blood to measure the antibody titres against HBV, Varicella, Measles, and Rubella. Serological tests are a much better indicator of immunity than simply having records of receiving a vaccine. The results take about 1-2 months to arrive, so you should have the blood drawn soon to get things started.

Guest McMastergirl

Get the flu shot... do it for yourself. I had the flu once (not in med school), and it knocked me flat for a week, plus another week of being very tired. You can't afford to miss that much of med school!

And when you're counselling your patients who claim they got the flu shot once, then got the flu - remind them that influenza is a respiratory disease and not a gastrointestinal upset (which many people believe "the flu" to be)!

McM girl

Guest Gordo58

Hacker,

I went and got my blood tested for antibodies against HepA and HepB, it took about 2 days. My family doc told me I do not have antibodies for either so Im getting the combined HepA/B vaccine next week. She also told me that the flu shot is only generally given once a year (October). Hope this helps

Gord

Guest DonaldKaufman

Is it fairly common for people to have a fairly adverse response to the flu shot, such as the one mentioned by McMaster Girl above? Do most people get it and just feel draggy for a day or two? If I knew that I was going to be incapacitated for an entire week, I'd just take the risk of contracting the actual flu. I figure we're all pretty young and fit (well...somewhat), so the actual flu wouldn't be as severe as it is for the elderly. Keep in mind that since I've never had a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu for a really long time, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on their own flu shot experiences?

Thanks,

-DK

Guest Ollie

I think what McMastergirl was describing was the actual flu, not a reaction to the flu shot, and therefore encouraging us to get the flu shot. From what I've heard about adverse reactions to the shot they are pretty mild, and as McM girl said, often not due to the shot, but just a coincidental illness. In addition, the flu shot is not just to protect you, but to protect your patients.

blood tests: I got blood tests to confirm my immunity to HepB and measles/mumps/rubella. It only took about a week for my doctor to get the results.

Guest Steve U of T

As to the 1-2 months for the serological tests, I suppose it's because UHN has several hundred recently hired employees, and since I'm not handling human blood products in my research, I'm not a priority for immunization. The test can probably be done within a day.

Guest shrinkage

I think I've received all the necessary immunizations, but there is a slight problem...my "yellow booklet" listing all the dates and types of shots has no signatures or initials. The last time I was immunized, the tech/nurse noticed that my current "yellow booklet" was getting tattered, so she copied all the info into a new one. At the time, this seemed like a good idea, so I did not object. In retrospect, the old booklet (which she ripped up after finishing the new booklet) had signatures and/or initials verifying the shots. Does anybody know whether this will be a problem when I try to register at UWO?

Thanks...:\

Guest westerngirl2004

I called the health centre and got a copy of my immunization record (i.e. the yellow booklet). You can probably do the same, and ask the person to sign it to verify the info or something.

westerngirl

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Today's the big day: the immunization/blood-drawing event. :rolleyes The UofT Health Services folks offered up the information that the doctor who'll be poking me to bits is very good at this. (Don't they always say such things? :) ) In any case, earlier this morn, I nipped down to my local, 24-hour Shoppers Drug Mart and snagged a clutchful of Emla products--both, the patches, and the more malleable dressing-type. The bod shall be partially covered in them, in all the potential jaggy hotspots and I'll be trying to think of good meds thoughts once I smell the alcohol wipes. :)

Good luck to the rest of you who still have to go through it. I'm sure it won't be that bad and the cause is superb.

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks for the words, walkorbike. :)

I learned a few things from yesterday's experience that might help a few folks around here: 1) if you're unsure of when and what you have been immunized with in the past, you can suggest to the doctor that they draw antibody titres for all of your required immunizations as opposed to the few titres that are generally requested. Apparently this may save on the need for boosters. (She suggested this to me, and of course, being needle-skittish, I wholeheartedly agreed. :) ) 2) The day on which you are to have blood drawn, make sure you drink plenty of water. I had consumed a venti latte a few hours prior to my appointment, and caffeine being what it is, ended up losing a lot of water pre-appointment. As such, the first blood tube was filled nicely, but the second wasn't. Next time, I'll be well hydrated. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 year later...

Archived