Premed 101 Forums

Getting your finances ready (LOC)

Guest sn0w0wl

Guest 2l2l

How soon after you set up your LOC are the funds available? I will probably need the money before the start of school for moving expenses, books, etc. Are there different policies at the banks regarding when the funds become available? Thanks for any input.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

When i got mine, I think it took them maybe a few days to approve everything, but it was available really fast (and I got it in July, before med started).

CC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Do you mean, what would the monthly interest cost be while holding the line of credit? If so, then in terms of fees, you should not incur too many that are directly associated with the LOC, if any at all. That is, unless you are paying life insurance to cover the LOC. I don't currently have this, so I can't comment on how much those would be.

In terms of interest, you will generally be charged monthly, and the exact amount will depend on two factors: 1) how much money you've taken from your LOC (you will only be charged interest on your outstanding balance); 2) the rate of interest for that month (although you will probably be permitted prime, it fluctuates). To give you an example of interest charges, if you have withdrawn a total of ~$50,000 from your LOC, then your monthly interest charges (based on the current prime interest rate) will be in the range of $100-150 per month. So, if you've withdrawn a total of $100,000 from your LOC, then you'll be paying $200-300 per month in interest at the current interest rates until you reduce your balance (and obviously, as the balance reduces, so will your interest payments).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 year later...

Archived