Premed 101 Forums

Whats the best research/lab position in Manitoba?

Guest NRC boy

Guest NRC boy

Ewww i cant believe i started a thread but i thought it would be an interesting topic and since Jag's tread was a total bust in spicing this forum up.

Yes i know that there is no "best" lab and that interest are different for everyone, but if you had a choice to work anywhere, where would it be and why? To those of you who are gonna say the Virology Lab thats a no brainer but be realistic here. Pick a position in which a 3 year B.Sc graduate could get hired. And let the spicyness begin!!!

Guest NRC boy

I said NO VIROLOGY lab! I have no idea why im still friends with you, lol. If there is someone on this forum that works at the virology lab, feel free to tell us how great it is and how you got the job cause I want in!

As you might of guessed, I work at HSC. OK fine, NRC. For those that dont know what that stands for its the National Research Council of Canada. Its located across from the U of W (the sexy pink buildings). Im not gonna lie, research is not something that I would want to do for the rest of my life. The hands on clinical stuff is great and exciting. The boring part is all the writing that is involved. Scientific reviews, REB submissions, grant proposals, ect. This is the majority of what research entails and what most ppl dont get to see. All the research officers do is write, write, and write some more. Sadly a lot of what I do there is the same, read this, write that, search for this. Dont great me wrong, the stuff im working on is very meaningful and quite interesting but to look at a computer screen for 20 to 30 hours a week is a killer. Theres a whole lot more I could write but I dont want to tell my whole life story in one post, so I'll end it here.

Stop killing my thread Jag! :evil lol

no matter what research or lab position you get its going to be the same thing over and over... writing, reading, and tapping a test tube. You'll get the exact same experience at the virology lab. I would hate to be a flat out PhD researcher too. I think the MD/researcher blend type person is interesting because they can correlate their research to what they see at the bedside. The downside is that all the grant proposals and pressures to publish really take a toll on you, your family, and your patient care. They'll pull your research funding if you don't publish an adequate amount of material in a given time... plus as an MD you'll have to beg even harder for the initial funding because nobody will believe you will carry out the research you intend to do

ps. the virology lab! lol

pps. You aren't going to get jack from a baseline B.Sc. in today's market. Most people use the B.Sc. to catapult into graduate studies like a masters or PhD. and the various other health related degrees that this forum is about.

Yeah Bsc's are the new highschool diploma's these days.

Research "sounds" all cool. But it's nothing like what you'd expect. I was expecting it to be like the TV show CSI. But it so is not. Not at ALL.

Guest NRC boy

I agree, a B.Sc. nowadays doesnt get you very much. Unless you want to pursue grad studies (which I dont) or u want to get into a faculty such as med (which i hope i did) theres not too much else out there. So if u dont get into med school and u dont want to do a masters you are sooo screwed. Stop saying the virology lab JAg!!! Im gonna say NRC since i work there and they pay me a lot :smokin

there is also PhD, dentistry, pharmacy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, optometry, podiatry, dental hygeine, nursing, chiro., lab technician... just to name a few

Guest NRC boy

No one here wants to do that other stuff :P Its med school or welfare!!! OoOo 4 more post and my thread is better than ur thread hey Jag :hat

Guest NRC boy

im on the verge of winning! This makes post number 13. I know Jag is burning deep inside because he wants to reply. However, if he does it will push my thread past his in postings, muwahahaha. I just came from a meeting where grown adults were fighting about research ethics. I now like research again, lol.

Guest Lurkergonepublic
I was expecting it to be like the TV show CSI. But it so is not. Not at ALL.

I always wonder how they can see what the H they'e doing in those dark little labs? If you want to make you're lab job more like CSI, then next time you're doing a gas chromatography or something, do this:

Take everything useful off the bench and surround yourself with funky flat screen monitors. Turn on the multicolored flood lights and some cool music. Only pipette one thing into one tube, stick it in the big macine, and press print on something till a nice little piece of paper comes out (this should take less than 20 seconds, otherwise you're going to lose interest). Take the paper to you boss, and tell him that the three chemical compounds in the sample are found in thousands of products, but thanks to a show you saw on the discovery channel last night, you happen to know that they only occur in those ratios in a particular specialty brand of hairspray that is only sold in 3 different stores around town.

Presto, a much more interesting and less monotonous job!

(congrats NRC boy on your now longer thread)

Guest hochunk

yeah, haven't checked the board for a while (or posted anything in ages...) but i feel compelled to add to the sympathy...

i have a 4-yr Biochemistry degree... and you can't do a helluva lot with it. i just got offered a job at Cangene for a measly $28k a year. not that 28 is that bad, but still... even my friends with economics degrees are starting at over 30. and education starts in the low 40s...

of course, it's a good thing nobody goes into sciences for the money...

h.

Guest jgray2

hochuk -- if you want to move to calgary, you can be a public bus driver for 30k/yr. now how's that for depressing? ;)

my psychology degree will be very useful in trying to understand why kids like to crank up the volume on their mp3 players, whereas your bcem degree will come in handy when you're trying to dissolve the gum suck on the seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived