Premed 101 Forums

Being competitive for 2 Emergs: 5-year FRCP + CCFP(EM)

Guest MDHopeful04

Guest MDHopeful04

Seeing that the 5-year FRCP emerg programs are so competitive to get into, it would appear to me that almost all of one's electives would have to be done in emerg, particularly if you're at a school with limited elective time prior to CaRMS applications. In this way, one would be in a good position to apply for the 5-year program, but what about for family medicine?

My question is basically, how does one be maximally competitive for the FRCP program but yet competitive enough to get into an family medicine program (to pursue the R3 positions in EM) should they not get admitted into the FRCP program?

Are there any thoughts on this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest coastalslacker

Don't have the answers on how to get into the 5-year. All I've heard is do your electives in Emerg, getting to know ER attendings at your school helps for letters, and doing research in an ERish direction is also good. Regarding being "in a good position" to apply to family medicine the most important thing is...........to fill out your carms application. That should about do it.

Curious why you're thinking 5 year right off the bat and not 2+1. My plan right now is to do a family residency and then, if I feel like I need more training, do a 3rd year in Emerg. Otherwise I'll just go somewhere small to medium sized, get a job in the ER anyways, and write the test for certification after working for a few years. I don't, however, plan on working ER for my whole career, I'll probably need a switch in a decade or so, which is a big factor in going the family route-it keeps the opportunity for a switch viable.

Archived