Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine

Guest FungManX

Guest cheech10

It's a broad field encompassing cardiology, hematology, respirology, gastroeneterology, nephrology, medical oncology, infectious disease, and more. Basically all adult medicine except for surgical specialties.

Guest Sarah371

I have always thought of General Internal Medicine as Family Medicine for sick adults eg. Diabetes, Hypertension. However as stated above there are subspecialities like Nephrology, Hematology etc. A very general simple explanation but it gives you the typical flavour.

Guest physiology

Just think about the name itself. "Internal" - so it's any medical specialty that deals with the insides of the body (heart, liver, intestines, etc) w/o having to resort to a scalpel.

BTW, neurology & dermatology used to be part of internal medicine as well - now they are free standing specialties.

Pediatrics is identical to internal medicine, except that the population base is different.

So you can be a ________ (cardiologist, respirologist, gastroenterologist, etc) either through internal or peds.

• 1 month later...
Guest nikkicell

inpatient internal medicine means sick people that aren't going to have surgery, these people are over 18, and they aren't psychiatric cases. outpatient internal medicine is looking at these people before and after they are inpatients

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katwoman2003

I'm very much interested in internal medicine and thinking of doing my electives at various centres in Canada. I was wondering if students from schools other than Alberta has any comments on the IM programs there. How are the programs differ? Which ones are good?

K

Guest endingsoon

I can tell you about Ontario....

I guess you can broadly group the 5 schools in 3 tiers:

1. Toronto would be tier one

2. London and Mac would be tier 2

3. Ottawa and Queens would be tier 3

Thats based on my own observations, from talking to people, and in looking at the programs themselves.

Guest UWOMED2005

What I heard in general on my internal med rotations:

- U of T was best for research

- Sask and MUN offered excellent hands-on procedural training

- U of A and UWO tended to be the best of both - goldilocks programs if you will.

U of A's program is supposed to be top-notch - extremely well funded as the province is floating on black gold. We matched 2 people there and there are are others who openly admit they would have gone there if family considerations were keeping them in Ontario.

I'd also like to note:

- Two of our top internal keeners both matched to Mac. . . knowing them, I'm sure their reasons were good

- I think we matched about 5 people to U of T internal, and roughly 9 to UWO (those number might be off by 1 or 2)

- Nobody from our class chose to go to Queens for Internal. It's a smaller program - which has both advantages and disadvantages. Take that as you will.

- Ottawa has had a bad rep the last few years, but a friend of mine who's a very, very solid internal keener ranked it #1. He feels that program has turned itself around.

All of this is pretty subjective. Caveat emptor and be aware of who you're getting your info from.

• 2 months later...
Guest adduction

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has or knows where to find matching data on applicants completing an internal medicine residency and moving into a subspecialty (specifically cardio).

I tried the CaRMS website but they group all the data to internal medicine matchees and provide no specifics regarding the subspecialties.

The question I want to ask myself is once in internal medicine, how competitive would it be to specialize in cardiology vs the other subspecialties?

Guest marbledust

My understanding is in Alberta, and somebody please correct me if I am wrong, you are guaranteed a sub-specialty spot but not necessarily in a specific specialty.

Guest barkthedog

If you match to IM in Alberta the government guarantees you five years of funding if you want it, so if you want to continue for your sub-specialty training there you are guaranteed to match to something. They seem to be pretty flexible in matching residents to their top choices (maybe a little moreso than other provinces) but it's not a 100% guarantee.

Guest UWOMED2005

I just heard this week that there might be 6 GI fellows in Calgary this year because the government tries so hard to match everyone to their top choice. But I don't know for sure.

Guest physiology

I posted this somewhere, but someone who got into cardiology at UBC this year said there are 30 cardiology spots across the country, and 45 applicants this year.

• 1 month later...
Guest katwoman2003

Thanks for your help moderator! I'm really excited about applying for internal med and I'm working on my clerkship schedule right now. So what would your advices be if I want to be competitve for CARMS? Are there specific people I should talk to? Is it good to have a subspecialty in mind going into IM? Coming from U of C, we have a bad reputation for not doing scut work, so I'm ready to be keen. Are there other advices for u of c students since our curriculum is so different?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest endingsoon

Well most people want the big 3 (cardio >> gi > nepho) so having a subspec. in mind is fine (esp if its not one of these) b.c everyone else does.

Scut work is not hard, and the less practise you have the better. Spend your time reading and learning, not tracking down labs and filling out homecare forms. Trust me, you will get enough scut to last a lifetime.

To be comepetative for CARMS, remember that IM is not a competative field. If you show interest, do some electives and work at a few schools you will end up in IM.

Guest noncestvrai

That must suck to go through another competition all over again, to me that's kind of a turn off. They should have entry level subspecialty programs options, IMHO.

noncestvrai

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Relative to some of the other IM sub-specialties, and to general IM, cardiology (especially interventional) and GI are definitely up there in terms of billings.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest physiology

Despite the fact that cardio does give you a fat-wallet, the lifestyle considerations, I think are drawing people away from this specialty. Same goes for GI and nephro and others.

@#%$ lifestyles (especially when you first start out) = cardio, GI, nephro, med onc, ICU, GIM (you end up having to do CTU), heme

Good lifestyles = endo, ID, rheum

YOu can add allergy to the good lifestyle specialties.

GI is also a very good lifestyle... at least here in the US. It's probably the most competitive fellowship to get into.

Guest physiology

Hey,

Yah - I think GI guys in Canada get a great lifestyle too. But to me, a good lifestyle = NO on call and 9-5 as much as possible. GI guys still have to do call (toxic megacolons..etc..) and manage the GI in patients (usually IBD patients).

In allergy/immunology, endo, and ID, there's essentially no on call whatsoever, but one emerg nurse I talked to pages the rheum guys once in a while.

Archived