Premed 101 Forums

Nursing Practitioners capable in primary care?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest iamanurse

As my user name indicates ... I am an RN. I was invited to this site while posting on another board. Thanks for the invite.

Although I have:

1... been a member of the Executive for RNAO (Registered Nurses Assn of Ont) and have therefore worked towards promoting the role of the NP

2... have worked on a floor that utilizes a NP to act as liason between pts/rns/and docs, and

3... have considered becoming a NP myself

I have decided not to persue this career choice because:

1... the Canada Health Act and the Constitution are worded in such a way that the NP is unable to practice within his/her full scope of practice. Due to the slim chance of changing the above two acts... why would I want to work at a partial capacity?

2... finding a physician who is willing to work with you has proven to be difficult. During university, graduation depends on a stretch of time spent with a physician... many students have been unsuccessful in being able to complete the program due to this. The same problem presents itself after graduation as well.

3... of the 37 (or so) liscenced NPs in this area only four are employed as such.

4... if I am going to go back to university full time - I feel I might as well become a physician. At least I know I will have a job as such, and that I will be able to practice within the full scope of my ability, and that the pay will be more than $80K a year (seems to me a NP makes $76/yr - I'd have to check to be sure though)

Please note that I do not intend to pass judgement on any professions here. At the hospital where I work we do in fact utilize a NP. It is often her that we phone to reorder abx, or get an rx for fever or emisis. She can be counted on like clockwork to be on the floor first thing in the morning to assess each of the clinics pts and write orders. I am sure that she is freeing up a lot of time for the oncologists. I just personally do not feel that the extra education - and somewhat extra skills - would be worth it to me. If I want to diagnose, treat, and prescribe... I'll become a doctor. (Which I do in fact plan to do.)

Just my two cents worth, that's all.

Guest iamanurse

RNAO might want to relieve me of my post on it's executive now. haha

(I'm just not as gung-ho as some of my fellow members, that's all)

Archived