Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

People are always very defensive of Canadian schools, but I don't think they understand just how amazing a lot of American schools are.

I agree - some of the American schools are amazing. I personally was amazed at the amount of money that must go to these schools, especially the private ones with large private donations. Plus the school atmosphere (and college sports) is very different and exciting too.

I knew a girl who had a choice between Vanderbilt and Columbia, and chose the latter even though they offered less funding. But her family is very wealthy. So I know it happens, but I also see a lot of people applying as a back-up. I guess some of them fall in love with a great American school. And I hope I don't offend anyone by saying there is a big difference between Vanderbilt and say, Wayne State (extremely Canadian friendly but with high tuition and not one of the "impressive" schools.)

moo - congrats on having what sounds like a wonderful experience at NU and being able to work slavishly to pay off your debts. I probably have less debts that you did, but they are making me anxious. Doesn't help that I overheard some senior residents/fellows talking about how difficult it is to find a job. I swear I never worried about money until recently when repayment is expected :P

You won't have trouble finding a job. Trust me. Just be smart about things. For example, don't go into primary care in the US if you have a huge loan. You make way more as a primary care doc in Canada. WAAAAAAY more. My friend who did med school with me is a pediatrician now and she only makes 69 bucks an hour doing urgent care shifts at Kaiser. That is peanuts compared to what you can make doing walk-in shifts in any Canadian province. If however you want to do a procedural specialty, then stay in the US.

Loans are loans. You'll pay them off in no time as a doc. Never skimp on your medical education. Canadian schools will get the job done. But comparing my experiences at NU to those of my friends who trained at Canadian schools, I think my training was way beyond anything I could've gotten at a Canadian school.

You won't have trouble finding a job. Trust me. Just be smart about things. For example, don't go into primary care in the US if you have a huge loan. You make way more as a primary care doc in Canada. WAAAAAAY more. My friend who did med school with me is a pediatrician now and she only makes 69 bucks an hour doing urgent care shifts at Kaiser. That is peanuts compared to what you can make doing walk-in shifts in any Canadian province. If however you want to do a procedural specialty, then stay in the US.

Loans are loans. You'll pay them off in no time as a doc. Never skimp on your medical education. Canadian schools will get the job done. But comparing my experiences at NU to those of my friends who trained at Canadian schools, I think my training was way beyond anything I could've gotten at a Canadian school.

Hey moo,

I'm currently applying to the US, and I was just wondering if you could elaborate on the bolded statement a little bit more. I understand that you think Canadian schools will still prepare medical students, but why do you feel that your training in the US was beyond what you could've gotten at a Canadian school??

Many thanks!

Ya I'm interested in that statement too Moo. I was accepted to Northwestern last cycle and was planning on going there for that very reason. However, after speaking to several experienced docs in a number of fields they nearly unanimously recommended for me stay in Canada for my training. The impression I got from them was that the training at most Canadian schools was exceptional as well and on par with nearly all schools in the US, and that it wasn't worth spending the extra money to go to Northwestern unless I felt like I could take advantage of some of the other opportunities offered at US schools.

I totally agree with Moo. If I had to make another decision over again, I would make the same choice without thinking. In terms of undergraduate medical education, any top 50 schools in NA will probably give you the same education you need to become a good doctor. The major difference to me is the "extra" opportunities you get in school outside of class rooms. Top US schools just offer so much more of those "extra" opportunities to students compared to Canadian schools hands down.

ACCEPTED

Case Western: rmitch8 (I: 10/5, A: 10/21)

Jefferson: c17h (I: 10/7, A: 10/15)

SUNY: rmitch8 (I: 9/23, A: 10/15)

U Kentucky: Rach (I: 10/13, A: 10:22)

Wayne State: c17h (I: 9/21, A: 10/21)

St. Louis University: trickybox (I: 10/13, A:10/22); Rach (I: 10/12, A: 10/30)

WAITLISTED

Wayne State: VTeight7 (I: 10/9, WL: 10/21)

GWU: trickybox (I:9/18, WL: 10/22)

REJECTED

Albany: wrighm6 (S+)

Boston University: Hackintosh (S+), JC5 (S+), mystery_chick (S+)

Case Western Reserve University: foregoneconclusion (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna(S+), ChicoMaki (S+)

Duke: JC5 (S+ via status page)

EVMS: JC5 (S+) wrighm6 (I+)

Georgetown: rmitch8 (S+), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), foregoneconclusion (S+), wrighm6 (I+), c17h (I+)

GWU: musicaldna (S+), JC5 (S+)

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+)

U Chicago - Pritzker: ChicoMaki (S+), James23 (S+)

U Minnesota - Twin Cities: wrighm6 (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna (S+)

UCSF: JC5 (S-)

SUNY Upstate: foregoneconclusion (S+, pre-interview hold = rejection based on SDN), ChicoMaki (S+, pre-interview hold), musicaldna (S+, pre-int hold), premed11 (S+, pre-interview hold), VTeight7 (S+, pre-interview hold), viscous (S+, pre-interview hold)

Tulane: Rach (S+)

Vanderbilt: c17h (S-), ChicoMaki (S-), viscous (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), musicaldna (S-), Rach (S-), James23 (S-)

ACCEPTED

WAITLISTED

REJECTED

Case Western Reserve University: foregoneconclusion (S+), JC5 (S+), musicaldna(S+), ChicoMaki (S+)

Georgetown: rmitch8 (S+), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), foregoneconclusion (S+), wrighm6 (I+), c17h (I+), Rach (S+)

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+)

U Chicago - Pritzker: ChicoMaki (S+), James23 (S+)

SUNY Upstate: foregoneconclusion (S+, pre-interview hold = rejection based on SDN), ChicoMaki (S+, pre-interview hold), musicaldna (S+, pre-int hold), premed11 (S+, pre-interview hold), VTeight7 (S+, pre-interview hold), viscous (S+, pre-interview hold)

Vanderbilt: c17h (S-), ChicoMaki (S-), viscous (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), musicaldna (S-), Rach (S-), James23 (S-)

Sorry to hear about the rejection and hold Gitanjali. Just focus on your upcoming interview for now! :)

Rach, congrats on your recent acceptances! Now you have choices to make!

Thanks. Strangely enough I'm not really looking forward to withdrawing from anywhere. Makes me feel kind of bad but I guess it's the way things work. How are you dealing with multiple acceptances? Withdrawing now, or paying the deposit and seeing how things play out in the spring?

ACCEPTED

WAITLISTED

REJECTED

Georgetown: rmitch8 (S+), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), foregoneconclusion (S+), wrighm6 (I+), c17h (I+), Rach (S+)

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+), madskillzz99 (S+)

U Chicago - Pritzker: ChicoMaki (S+), James23 (S+), madskillz99 (S+)

UChicago and Mayo..though I didn't expect these schools to work out

Thanks. Strangely enough I'm not really looking forward to withdrawing from anywhere. Makes me feel kind of bad but I guess it's the way things work. How are you dealing with multiple acceptances? Withdrawing now, or paying the deposit and seeing how things play out in the spring?

I'm also holding onto my acceptances for the time being... just in case I change my mind later. I figure I should be entitled to at least a little bit of time to think about where I want to spend the next four years of my life...it is a pretty big decision. But I will definitely withdraw as soon as I make my decision to give someone else a chance!! Are you also planning to pay your deposit and see how things play out in the spring?

I'm also holding onto my acceptances for the time being... just in case I change my mind later. I figure I should be entitled to at least a little bit of time to think about where I want to spend the next four years of my life...it is a pretty big decision. But I will definitely withdraw as soon as I make my decision to give someone else a chance!! Are you also planning to pay your deposit and see how things play out in the spring?

Yeah I think that's probably the best thing to do (even though I've made up my mind about the two acceptances I currently hold). It doesn't hurt to wait a few months. Also, there are some schools that sometimes give scholarship offers to Canadians so it's probably even more important to wait on those.

They do give deposits back if you withdraw before may 15th right?

Rach, congrats on your SLU acceptance! I loved the school, but not too sure about the city. But most students lived away from the city anyways.

I agree that the area directly around SLU is not great, but a short (5-10 minutes) distance away on the rail are some nice neighborhoods closer to Forest Park. Apartment buildings around there aren't too expensive.

A lot of schools seem to be in shady areas, but if the public transit is good, it's usually not a big deal.

ACCEPTED

Wayne State: c17h (I: 9/21, A: 10/21); EUnit (I: 10/5, A: 10/21)

WAITLISTED

REJECTED

Mayo Clinic: ChicoMaki (S-), foregoneconclusion (S-), c17h (S-), rmitch8 (LOR received 8/20), emcd (S+), musicaldna (S+), Rach (S+), JC5 (S+), madskillzz99 (S+)

U Chicago - Pritzker: ChicoMaki (S+), James23 (S+), madskillz99 (S+)