Premed 101 Forums

residency in the US?

Guest Windig0

Guest Windig0

Just wondering... kinda blunt and general but,

how hard is it to get good residency positions in the US if your coming from the top tier canadian medical schools

Depends on too many things. Grades, letters, research, etc. What program are you applying to? How competitive? Really hard to answer this question without being more specific.

Guest Windig0

ok let me just put it this way, I'm going care simply for namesake.

If you were going to put all the north American Medical schools on a ranking, where would UofT,UWO McGill etc. rank on the chart? and how well known are they in the United States?

I can't say where these schools would rank, but in terms of reputation, UT and McGill would probably be equivalent to a solid state school like Washington or Michigan. The rest of the Canadian schools would probably rank somewhere along the lines of middle tier state schools like Ohio State and Wisconsin. I have no basis for this, however. It's based mostly on anecdotal evidence.

UT is well-known in academic circles and it's well-respected, but the wow-factor associated with Harvard, JHU, Duke, etc. isn't really there. You'll hear people argue differently and you'll hear people quote how many studies UT has come up with in the past x years and how much research dollars was granted, etc. but honestly, I'm not a statistician so I can't tell you which school is "better." Seriously, if you get to choose between all the schools I've mentioned, you're really lucky and can't go wrong with whatever the choice.

Archived