Premed 101 Forums

US school questions

Guest QuestionMan23213

Guest QuestionMan23213

I have a few questions I was hoping some of the moderators or others could help out with:

I have decided to apply to American universities this month but I will be rewriting the MCAT in August. I am wondering if anybody off-hand knows of any mid-tear or even low-tear schools that do *not* require the english course. So far I have only found:

Albany, Vermont, and Jefferson College.

When I was applying to American dental schools 2 years back, a lot of US schools allowed me to waive the english requirement with my completion of the Ontario OAC English course. Does this apply to medical schools as well? Or conversely, can courses taken in social sciences (psych) that have significant essay components be used in place of the english?

Secondly, what is the best way to go about finding schools that accept Canadians, other than emailing every single school of interest. I had the Barrons book last year which provided some good information, but are there any other similar books out there that include comprehensive details of prereqs, gpa/mcat scores, and canadian student eligibility?

Lastly, given that my gpa is only 3.64, is there any point applying? I believe I can obtain a 29-30 on the mcat (as its my 2nd attempt now) but ive heard chances are markedly reduced if the schools have to wait till october to receive my most recent scores.

Thanks for all of your help.

QM

Take a look at the Medical School Admissions Requirements book. This book can be bought on amazon.com. It answers most of the questions you have with regard to GPA, MCAT scores, applicants applied, interviewed, accepted, etc. It also gives an overview of each school's curriculum. It also lists admissions office phone numbers, emails, contact people, etc. It also has a lot of useful information about Canadian schools as well.

There is a list at the top of this page that lists schools accepting Canadians. This list varies slightly from year to year so you have to be sure to call each school to verify the information, but it should be a good place to start.

Guest QuestionMan23213

Hi all,

As I mentioned in a previous post, Im presently studying for the August MCAT. Because I dont just want to blindly apply to 10 schools without really knowing how well im my studying is going at this point (as gaged by practice kaplan tests), Im wondering what is the *latest* that one can safely apply to American schools in the rolling application cycle? I know earlier is better and its best to get the primary app in asap. However, is mid-July still considered early enough, or conversely is it best/wisest to just wait till I write the exam in August to see how I think it went and then apply right away then. The way I see it, whether I apply now or in August, they will process everything and send 2ndaries if required, and then just wait till my scores arrive in October anyway, so it doesnt really make a difference. Is this true or does applying now provide some extra benefit?

I dont really see how many people can write the April MCAT unless they write in their 5th year when they're done school. Maybe this translates into matriculates being older in the states.

Anyways thanks for the help...

8o

If your app is good, applying late won't be that much of a hindrance.

I suggest you take the MCAT and then apply to 5-6 safety schools (assuming your GPA is decent, at least 3.6). You can always add on schools later. While it's true that the MCAT is the limiting reagent here, by getting your primary apps in early, once the MCAT scores come out, your app will be complete, whereas if you wait, there is a lag time in submitting your primary, thus causing some delays late in the cycle (not good). Hope that makes sense.

Archived